The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else noticing their geese are tougher to pluck now in the later season? The last 3 birds I got would rip the skin off as I tried to pluck em. They were big birds so I'm not sure if it's the season or the age. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
John S said:
They will pluck easily if you do it whilr they still have some body heat.
yep. also I have only plucked a goose once and it was a really small (lesser) canada. However when we cull off our broiler birds(meat chickens) i get a large pot of water and let it come to a boil, take it off the heat and just quick dunk the bird in the water for about 2-3 seconds (just enough to get it wet), then the feathers are loose enough to just rub right off the skin. once finished plucking i then take a blow torch and quick burn any remaining fuzz off. It'll look like you bought it from the supermarket! (not that i like supermarket meat!) =)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Dip in hot water or hot wax and the feathers will come right out. The wax keep the feathers together and allows them to be plucked quicker with less mess. They also make pluckers that attach to a drill (pg 88 of cabelas waterfowl catalog) that work decent. I'm not a fan of plucking ducks due to rice breast but have never seen it in a goose.

·
Super Moderator
14,561 Posts
Many years ago we had an old timer pluck all of our waterfowl for 35 cents each....Tough to pick feather all night and get up early the next morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.