The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my dilemma. I know some state land nearby with 6 birds on it, one group of 3 jakes, a nice longbeard and a group of 2 ,im guessing, 2 year olds. Also I have access to private ground right behind my house with a bird on it. So opening day do I head to the public ground and try for a bird down there before everyone else wises them up or do I go to the private ground first where there is a slim to none chance of anybody hunting all season, then go to the game lands later in the season? I have one tag to fill and trying to help my uncle get his first bird, HELP! CAN'T DECIDE! The 2 year olds on the state land were very vocal up til 730 this weekend so Im leaning towards that option. THANKS!

·
Registered
18,709 Posts
I hear ya. I have three long beards pegged on one piece of property that i can hunt, yet will probably head to camp where my chances are much slimmer. Being at camp on the opener with the guys is tough to pass up.

Hopefully, the three long beards will stay on pattern for another week as I plan to hit them before work next week.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I had to make that same decision this past Saturday. Took my son to a farm I knew had birds. Only ended up seeing one hen and six Deer. Got home and had a nice Gobbler in my yard. Took the quad up the mountain to get my sd cards and ran into three other Gobblers. This Saturday we will be hunting up the mountain behind my house.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hahaha.... the old dilemma. I think the only thing I dont like about turkey hunting is second guessing to death the night before a hunt on where to go.
If it were me, I would probably go after the state land birds early first day. If it doesnt work out you can always come back to the house and get breakfast and then go after big boy later in the morning after he loses some of his hens. Good luck!!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You and your uncle should both drive separate vehicles and go after public birds and get there early. Usually that extra vehicle or two is all that's needy to keep the place to yourself.
My brother used to put up a sign in his rear window that said, "Does not hunt well with Others."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts