The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
You're obsession with an imaginary group of people is entertaining to everyone who's been following your rant, but you might want to see a counselor if it continues much longer.
Put your big boy pants on. It's not imaginary. The person that was directed to on here knows who they are.
And I'm serious. Take heart! The rifle ban will cure all problems for everyone.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Put your big boy pants on. It's not imaginary. The person that was directed to on here knows who they are.
And I'm serious. Take heart! The rifle ban will cure all problems for everyone.
Interesting. I thought it was me, but apparently I'm lost on this one.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
I've told you before that it wasn't you. Take my word for it. It's not you. You don't whine about bad turkey hunting. You just go and get after it. I can respect that. You don't take shots at what others are doing. Again, I can respect that.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
I've told you before that it wasn't you. Take my word for it. It's not you. You don't whine about bad turkey hunting. You just go and get after it. I can respect that. You don't take shots at what others are doing. Again, I can respect that.
Folks that point out deeply concerning low populations of birds where they once (for decades) thrived are whiners? What should a concerned sportsman do?
You've posted numbers of birds and flocks you have in your area and it's very clear you don't have that problem and I hope you never do. Although I don't think banning rifle hunting will do much, I would be happy to only be allowed to bow hunt fall turkeys if we had anything close to your numbers here.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Just what those born Sunday-Wednesday needed, another good soaking..thankfully it wasn't as cold..we'll see what's tagging along by this weekend....

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Folks that point out deeply concerning low populations of birds where they once (for decades) thrived are whiners? What should a concerned sportsman do?
You're the only one saying that. Not sure what some of you are really reading. My point is that it's kinda funny that some people who laughed at me saying that cold and wet springs were affecting the populations are now the ones on here complaining about it as well. Strikes me funny how some people's talking points change with their needs at the time.

There is nothing at all funny about the turkey situation in the state right now. You will, NEVER see me laughing about that. And I do not wish the situation upon anybody. whoever is thinking that does not know me very well at all.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
You're the only one saying that. Not sure what some of you are really reading.
Only one saying what???

I certainly never said cold, wet springs didn't affect poults and turkey populations. I did say (and believe) that it is not responsible for the near total disappearance of birds in some areas of our state.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Only one saying what???

I certainly never said cold, wet springs didn't affect poults and turkey populations. I did say (and believe) that it is not responsible for the near total disappearance of birds in some areas of our state.
I'm the one who said our Spring weather is typically wet and cool. The years that aren't would be called a drought. I also said something along the lines of Cool and wet Springs cannot be the sole reason for a Nationwide turkey decline......because the entire nation has not been affected by the same weather patterns year after year.
The weather we had roll through recently was beyond what is normal. We don't normally see lows in the 30's and highs in the 50's during late May. I saw my first batch of fresh poults going into the last week of the season, and a day or two later here comes an unprecedented weather front with heavy constant rains and near freezing temperatures.
THAT weather was not normal and seemed nearly impossible for me to believe that batch of poults could live through it.

Turkeys overall have to be able to survive cool, wet Springs or we never would have had any to begin with.

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Only one saying what???

My God, learn to comprehend. You're the only one saying that I called all turkey hunters hunting in areas with once thriving turkey populations whiners.
Not the only one saying wet spring affect recruitment. Understand now? Or do I need to spell it out further for you?

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
My God, learn to comprehend. You're the only one saying that I called all turkey hunters hunting in areas with once thriving turkey populations whiners.
Not the only one saying wet spring affect recruitment. Understand now? Or do I need to spell it out further for you?
You sound like a real fun guy.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Well then maybe you do need to spell it out because looking back on this thread, I'm not the only one who is at a loss as to what (or who) you are talking about.
Just cause you're pissed about the BOC banning rifles (which I agreed with you on) doesn't mean you have to lash out at everyone.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I was getting around for work the other morning and watched a hen down below my house on the main road. It looked like she was picking grit. The speed limit is 55 and here comes a car down the hill at about 65mph.
Now coming down that hill you can see in a straight line for several hundred yards, yet that car never touched the brakes. I heard a big Whoompp and watched a puff of feather fly down the road. She's been hanging right around the house lately and I'm guessing there's a clutch of eggs rotting away somewhere.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't believe not all can fathom the true depth of the decline.
Myself, I would say that the over usage of weed killer on crop fields may be contributing. Heck, maybe it even renders hens unfertile. I have no idea. But this isn't the bald eagle, a national symbol so there wont be any outcry from anyone but us who hunt them. Those with large numbers can look down their nose at us whiners. I hope you never see it happen to your flocks.
I always wonder the effects weed killer has on all wildlife as well, would be something that maybe needs investigated more.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've seen around 10 hens in the past 2 weeks and only one had poults. At least three of the hens seen had short thin beards.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts