The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Record cold and hard wind driven northeaster rain for 2 days now here in SE PA. About the worse conditions you could have for poults. Hopefully a lot of nests haven't hatched yet.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I know right? I don't know why we even have springs. All the baby turkeys die every year.
I'm looking forward to the 2022 hatch already. Maybe things will get better.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I
I know right? I don't know why we even have springs. All the baby turkeys die every year.
I'm looking forward to the 2022 hatch already. Maybe things will get better.
I think the majority of the nests haven't hatched yet...or at least I hope they haven't. First 2 weeks of June are big weeks for hatching. This weather will be tough on the poults that have.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Fortunately most of the nests here in Lancaster County have hatched out in early May. At this point the Poults should be old enough to fly up in the tree for the night. Guess they could still get hypothermia at 3 weeks old?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I saw a Hen and 10 to 12 small Poults in the field next to the house on Thursday the 27th here in 2B, which is encouraging but. most likely the next time I see them there will only be about 3 or 4 left if that....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm not saying the cold wet weather won't have an effect but let's wait until July or August to say the poult survival rate this spring was dismal. I mean we've had a pretty good spring to this point for a great hatch and lots of young birds to make it, this weather isn't going to last for a week. Just my thoughts of course.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
June is the start of hurricane season since the beginning of time. Often brings prolonged storms for days. It's a wonder we ever had turkeys.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I know right. We must have been fortunate throughout the eighties and the nineties and the early 2000's. Seems like those years musta had the best weather for turkeys ever.
I missed the hayday when I was in the service. I can see why there were few turkeys when I was young. It rained every spring like clock work.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Any poults born before Sunday are more than likely dead...no way could the handle 38-44 degrees soaking wet...none..renesters hopefully and hopefully tge majority are born this week..worst thing that could have happened, happened !!

·
Super Moderator
14,377 Posts
Any poults born before Sunday are more than likely dead...no way could the handle 38-44 degrees soaking wet...none..renesters hopefully and hopefully tge majority are born this week..worst thing that could have happened, happened !!
Not necessarily. Even though it was wet and cold if the hen wasn't disturbed, could brood them as needed and they were still small enough for all of them to fit under her wings they had a good chance of surviving.

It is when the hen is disturbed, by man or a predator, and she can't brood them as needed or when they are getting big enough they can't all fit under the hen that she is most likely to lose them to wet conditions.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I was talking about this with my young daughter when we went hunting the other day and she was all bundled up in winter clothes for the morning sit. I told her how hard it would be for a little turkey poult to survive those conditions unless they found a place that was dry.
As we were walking along she pointed out a cluster of cedar tree that was completely dry underneath and said "Hopefully the turkeys found something like that."
It was probably a death sentence for most of them, but I'll bet a few lucky ones were able to hunker down in a dry spot.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Don't worry the worst thing that could happen, happened!! Very few could handle those low 40's and soaking for three days...hopefully they'll retnest and have better condition in 4 week...same nonsense that happened 2 and 3 years...couldn't have happened at a worse time..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Have to look forward all to those 2 year old jakes in 2025 I reckon. Cause it looks like 2023 will be a bust again as well.

·
Super Moderator
14,377 Posts
Boy you guys seem to think the turkey outlook is bleak because of a few days of wet weather. Heck it is only the first week of June. The majority of the turkey poults haven't even hatched yet.

There are way more turkey poults hatched from the middle of June through late August then the comparitively few that have already hatched.

Also for the record, though a very few turkeys will renest if they hatched eggs and lost all of the poults almost immediately it is not normal for them to renest. Even if the hen only has one poult left she is not going to renest.

If they lose a nest though they will typically lay a new clutch of eggs and start over. They will make several nest attempts over the spring and summer but normally once they have eggs that hatched they are done for the year.

I have seen newly hatched poults as late as the second week of September. So we hopefully have a lot of good poult weather ahead of us yet.

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Yeah, some of you guys are worrying for nothing. After all, it was some of the very posters on this thread who all but called me crazy for citing the succession of cold and wet springs being a major contributor to the population decline. IIRC, the main reply was, "Isn't that what spring is, cold and wet weather?"
So I guess now some of you can call the other state biologists and tell them they're wasting their time looking for decline causes since now it's the cold and wet weather afterall.

And take heart, the ban on rifle hunting that some of you were rejoicing will certainly result in a windfall of turkeys in every woodlot for next year. Buck up boys! Things are looking good.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Lots of poults will be fine. It wasn't good, but hens do make great mothers. Still several still sitting here. My concern is a lack of abundance of hens locally.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I don't believe not all can fathom the true depth of the decline.
Myself, I would say that the over usage of weed killer on crop fields may be contributing. Heck, maybe it even renders hens unfertile. I have no idea. But this isn't the bald eagle, a national symbol so there wont be any outcry from anyone but us who hunt them. Those with large numbers can look down their nose at us whiners. I hope you never see it happen to your flocks.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
And take heart, the ban on rifle hunting that some of you were rejoicing will certainly result in a windfall of turkeys in every woodlot for next year. Buck up boys! Things are looking good.
You're obsession with an imaginary group of people is entertaining to everyone who's been following your rant, but you might want to see a counselor if it continues much longer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts