The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An assisted living facility for the elderly today defended the refusal of a staffer to give CPR to an elderly woman who had collapsed on the floor and later died.

The woman was identified today as a resident services director, not a nurse as previously reported. The woman repeatedly rebuffed pleas from the 911 dispatcher during a seven minute call on Feb. 26 to give the woman CPR or to ask someone else to do it.

Lorraine Bayless, 87, died later that day after being taken to a hospital by ambulance.

The executive director of the facility, Glenwood Gardens in Bakersfield, Calif., today insisted that the staffer did the right thing.

"In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community, our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives. That is the protocol we followed," Jeffrey Toomer said in a statement issued to ABC News.

Toomer offered condolences to the woman's family and said a review of the incident would be conducted.

Spokeswoman Andrea Turner said Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility.

"Independent Living communities do not provide medical services, as they are not licensed to do so. In an emergency, staff will call 911 and then wait with the person in need of assistance. Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility which, by law, is not licensed to provide medical care to any of its residents," Turner said in a statement.
This one is a tough call and I am not sure how I feel about it. 87 years is a pretty long life and you are in an assisted living facility already....what would be next if you did survive? I have had emergency personell resuscitate elderly relatives only to keep them alive for someone to make a decision to take them off life support just days later.

I guess the best anyone can wish for is the end is quick whenever it comes.

Staff Was Right to Not Do CPR, Facility Says

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
Having a very close relative currently living in an assisted living facility, I must say I am surprised they refer to the "nurses" as "nurses". The most I have seen them do is despense medicine and take blood pressure. They send the residents to the hospital for just about everything you can imagine. Obviously some things require hospital attention, but abrasions and other surface type wounds?

I am not surprised at all how the "nurse" responded.

I real nurse's job (or ANYONE who works in a life saving professional capacity) is to help save lives, <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">not judge the quality of life</span></span> before nor after saving it.

·
Registered
24,786 Posts
It is not an assisted living community It is an Independant Living commnunity
"Independent Living communities do not provide medical services, as they are not licensed to do so. In an emergency, staff will call 911 and then wait with the person in need of assistance. Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility which, by law, is not licensed to provide medical care to any of its residents," Turner said

·
Registered
670 Posts
An assisted/independent living facility is not necessarily the end of the road, unlike a nursing home. My wife works part time at a high end assisted living facility, and the patients/clients have it pretty good. They can have pets, booze, and some of them "date" each other or carry on a relationship. These people pay big bucks to live at these assisted facilities, so I guess expecting someone to perform CPR is not asking to much.

My wife said that where she works , all the staff is CPR certified, even the janitors. However, they still do call 911, should a medical emergency occur.

·
Registered
670 Posts
GIE said:
Having a very close relative currently living in an assisted living facility, I must say I am surprised they refer to the "nurses" as "nurses". The most I have seen them do is despense medicine and take blood pressure. They send the residents to the hospital for just about everything you can imagine. Obviously some things require hospital attention, but abrasions and other surface type wounds?

I real nurse's job (or ANYONE who works in a life saving professional capacity) is to help save lives, not judge the quality of life before nor after saving it.
The person is not a nurse, based on the title, he/she is the equivalent of an activities director.

The reason they send people to hospital is all about liability. She said that by policy they're suppose to send them to the hospital for something as simple as constipation . The facility she works at , does not have a doctor on staff.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
I understand what you are saying about the liability and such.

As far as nurses, from their website (where my close relative resides)...

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">WELLNESS SERVICES</span></span>

"Wellness Staff (including RNs, LPNs, and PAs) 24-hours per day, seven days per week."

·
Registered
848 Posts
I think you should try to save someone's life if their in need of help if you can what has the world come too

·
Registered
22,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is not an assisted living community It is an Independant Living commnunity
That's a valid point and removes it even further from a medical facility one would think. But I still don't know how I personally would react faced with the same situation. My Pop has been gone for some time now and my Mom is pretty far up in age. God forbid something happen to her but I would be extremely torn if faced with such a situation as being there making a choice to do CPR. My parents always taught us to accept a natural death and to prolong a loved one's natural death is sort of selfish because it's there own personal experience.

Maybe it was just my parents way of saying "Everybody dies...mourn it...get over it...and move on."

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
GIE said:

I real nurse's job (or ANYONE who works in a life saving professional capacity) is to help save lives, not judge the quality of life before nor after saving it.
That's exactly how I feel about this too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts