The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out hunting mushrooms today and had my dog with me.

While we were walking back, I had a scare with a dog. An unleashed dog, it appeared to be Rottweiler or at least partly so, charged hard at the two of us. My dog was leashed and stayed right at my side.

I was honestly scared and had drawn a mental "line in the sand" where that dog had to stop, otherwise, I was going to shoot it.

Got to thinking about it later on and wondered what, exactly, the laws surrounding this are.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to go around shooting someone's dog, but I don't want to have to spend a fortune to have mine sewn back up, either.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I love dogs and i'm not sure of the law, but I can tell u I would have had the same mental line in the sand, he crosses it, he drops, I leave, end of story. People are responsible for their dogs and should have them under control at all times, when they don't, problems arise. I'm glad it turned out the way it did for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
im pretty sure that if its a wild dog, or if its someones dog, esp an agressive breed, like a rot, pit, shepard or anything of that nature..if it charged you in the woods, and it was unleashed...id put it down and not even think twice..its your life man, bottom line.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This wasn't in the woods. This was walking along the road back to the truck. It came out of a vacant lot near some houses.

When it pulled up, I didn't see a collar, but it appeared to be pretty well cared for.

I have little doubt that it was a pet, which made me draw a tight line. Had it meant business, my dog or myself would have probably been bitten. Of course, THAT would have made legal defense a LOT easier.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I agree with you fully. I have had the instance where unleashed dogs a rottie being one charging me, my dog, and my wife in town! Every time if I wouldn't have literally picked up my dog above my head there would have been a fight. Our dog is a norwegian elk hound which isn't very big but she will stand her ground against any dog. Im not saying she would win but she will stand her ground and take a beating while putting one out. I know I probably shouldnt do that as Im going to get attacked but its one of those things that just comes to me in the heat of the action. I dont want to deal with bleeding dogs and maybe even a dead one.

Anyways it has gotten very irritating anymore over the lack of dog owners responsibility in regards of cleaning up after them or keeping them on a leash.

If I am ever out in the woods with a gun and the same instance happens without a doubt I would also pull the trigger once the line was crossed.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Glad it worked out the way it did for you and your thinking was correct in my opinion. Tough choice but the right choice.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
One of the hardest things I could ever do is kill a dog, but in that circumstance, probably would have handled it the same.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I have been in similar situations and the dogs always back
down before I have to shoot them. If a dog is going to
attack me or my dog I would have no regrets about killing
it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Been in your situation about 3 or 4 times haven't pull the trigger yet.It's just a shame for the dog because of the careless owner.You would have done the right thing.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
A tough call to make and I think you made the right decision. I feel it is ok to protect yourself and your pet unless you are on private property, and even then would have to protect myself and pet.

·
Registered
485 Posts
i was in similar circumstance. i was in town with a puppy i was a "nanny" for, giving prelunch walk. a chow was making aggressive moves. if that puppy was injured i was a "dead man!" no question of the outcome if the action had continued.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The only thing I can really say about this subject is protect your own life and the lives of those people or companions who may be with you. Dogs are great, I love dogs. But I won't let myself, my wife or one of my daughters be mauled to death or disfigurement by one.

My father shot one once that had a collar but was on our property (we were small game hunting) and it saw us from about 150 yards away and started running right at us. Snarling and barking the whole way. I won't lie, my dad didn't hesitate real long. He shot it with my .22 and it kept coming for a short spell then it laid down. My father didn't wait to see if it was going to get up. Take no chances. Believe me, at 13 years old that wasn't exactly easy to watch but now I look back and think, what were the alternatives???

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Had one do that too me and my 10 year old first shot into the ground didnt scare it the second scared it too death .

·
Registered
886 Posts
I only had to do it once also.Was small game hunting 20 years ago.Knew where my dog was and saw a black lab bounding in and my dog yipped.One yell and he jump up and it was over for him.Luckly my dog was ok.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have given this some considerable thought and have decided that next time, if there IS a next time, I will be carrying something a little more substantial than a .22 Mag.

The .357 seems to be calling my name. It wants some fresh air and a cylinder full of hollow-points.

Thanks to all for the advice and confirmation of my thinking.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Most of the answers here are pretty good IMHO. Personally, I would be very concerned if there were three or more dogs together. The pack mentality can cause bad things to happen.

With a single dog, the last thing I would do is pull the trigger in most cases. If it is an ongoing problem, bring some pepper spray with you (and your gun).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts