The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Make sure you get some kind of teflon for the threads i have to take my touch out to clean my Pedersoli and after a good day at the range it really does NOT like to unscrew out.. The teflon makes it alot easier.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Well I can tell you what I have been told from Dixon's , You don't need to take them out and they clean up just as good with them in because of the pressure forced through the hole. But you can take it for what it's worth!!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
50 CAL. PRO said:
Put some bore butter around the threads..that will keep it lubricated for easy un-threading...Also dont over tighten the touch hole liner.
I use bore butter sometimes too. Something a little thicker might do better, but I've never had a problem getting one out. I just snug it up, I don't put it in real tight.

·
Banned
900 Posts
I used TC breech plug grease and remove it routinely when cleaning. By taking it out I'm abe to get a real good cleaning of the breech area with dental picks and q tips. I also notice that I get some build up in the liner itself and although I can clean the hole out with torch tip cleaners I cannot get the channel that leads to the hole clean without removing it.

Yes, I am very ,very picky about how clean I get her but she seems to like it and it has been years since she misfired while taking a shot at game.

I use this rule about cleaning: If your method works keep doing it!!

P.S. : If you want to get it out though be sure to use somthing on the threads. I paid $25 to have one removed from my sons Lyman Deerstalker after he opted to install it dry.
He has adopted my cleaning methods since then.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Before trying to remove the touch hole liner set the barrel in your pot of hot water{breech end} for a few seconds. This will loosen the powder fouling and the liner can be removed easily.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The factory Lyman bushing is actually made slightly too long. If you shine a light down the bore and screw the bushing in you will see that it protrudes about 3/32" into the breechplug chamber.

I shortened the bushings on all my Lymans so that they come up flush with the interior of the chamber wall. My theory is that it shortens the path to the main charge.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts