The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was looking for some help on this topo map of a dmap area I plan on hunting in the early doe muzzleloader season. I've never hunted this area, but have three days to hunt it. I might be leaving PA within two years and would like to get at least one ANF deer. I plan on stand hunting morning and evening, then still hunting mid day. Any spots stick out to anyone? I really appreciate any help!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I'd look at saddles on a ridge like the one marked, a set-up near the top of a hollow, or along the creek bottom.

·
Registered
477 Posts
basdjs said:
I'd look at saddles on a ridge like the one marked, a set-up near the top of a hollow, or along the creek bottom.
It looks like a saddle just below the red pin. Depending on the vegetation, I would start there. Always had luck in saddles like that. My grandfather killed his best buck in an area that looked similar. Back in 1936 I think. I killed my first deer with a bow in the same spot. Deer are like people, they will take the easy route when they can......A saddle lets them cross a ridge without too much extra effort....

·
Registered
18 Posts
For me it would depend on if those roads were accessible. If people are able to drive on those roads that red pin may potentially have more hunting pressure than you'd like. Saddles, ridge lines, and points are all good places to start when looking at a topo map. I like the area I have marked below.

It is far away from hunting pressure, has a small saddle, is close to a point, and also has two hollows that feed towards it that could potentially make an easy crossing point. This is just a starting point though. Early season is all about food and lack of hunting pressure. Take the advice of some of the other guys on here and myself and check those spots out. Look for oaks and other food sources as well as some water. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The best spot to me looked like the saddle I have marked. There is a small creek flowing through it. I figured look around and find if and where they're crossing it around that area. The creek bottom is mostly pine trees, I don't know how the visibility would be in there, but would like to check it out. I plan on heading up late august/early September and camp for one night and hike around the area for both days I'm there. 1WithMountain, thanks for pointing that out. I'll check that out! The road on the left is open to vehicles, the two on the right are foot traffic only. Thank you everyone for the help! I talked to a forester in the area, and he said the section between these roads has lots of oak trees and it looks like it's going to be a good year for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts