The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any of you have seen this show on the History Channel, but on the new episode on sunday night they will be competing with Longrifles. Should be entertaining watching these people shoot a flinter, most are pro pistol shooters. I for see a lot of whining

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I DVR it every week.. There are some excellent marksman, yet there are a few that would find any excuse for a miss, and seem quite arrogant.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
I want to see them do a modern pistol speed course with muzzleloading pistols! haha

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see it now, this gun is too long, I have to do what to load! I want my glock back

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
The teaser they showed for the flinter shooting illustrated very well every wrong stereo type about flint muzzleloaders.

They had a special about the development of firearms and as to flintlocks they had some idiot who dumped the pan full of powder, waived the muzzle around intentionally and then when he barely hit the barn at 75 yds he says See how inaccurate theese are? That kind of inaccuracy in the media really gets mke PO'd.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am still surprised at how accurate a flintlock actually is. The only problem with them is the average person does not want to take the time to develope a load for them and understand the mechanics of what makes them tick. Any of my muzzleloaders will outshoot any lever gun 30-30 I have owned.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, a lot of guys who have flinters will take theirs out of the gun cabinet on christmas and that is it. Range time is the most important thing with any gun esp a flinter. I shoot year long, and I think i get a little better every time I shoot

·
Registered
12,137 Posts
proper hold, breath control, aiming, squeeze the trigger, follow through, are the same as any firearm. It is those little extra "know hows" of loading a flinter that make a world of difference. I wonder how many of us could outshoot those "stars" in the muzzleloader part.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree, the follow through is the most important with a flinter, and I have a feeling that they will have a hard time with a delay. Will be interesting to see how well tuned the locks are on their flinters. I would not be surprised if some of us could show these "stars" a thing or two

·
Registered
695 Posts
This is going to be interesting. The one show i saw one of there so called experts could'nt hit a 10in gong at 100yds with a bolt military rifle from a prone position, I think he missed it more than 20 times and he had a spotter!!!!

No doubt in my mind i could out shoot them with my flinter.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you could easily out shoot a lot of people I have seen with them using a scoped bolt action rifle.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
On the days I shoot good I find myself going into a trance like state where I can really concentrate.Also, if I miss the first target, Woodswalk,Mountain Man, my confidence goes right out the door! My Uncle`s reaction is exactly the opposite. He will try harder!!!

·
Registered
12,195 Posts
I've watched a few episodes and there is as much melodrama as there is on a high school cheer-leader squad, maybe more. Something about this whole set up smells. The pretend macho attitudes and the politics make it a joke. If they want to show a show about shooters they should just broadcast Camp Perry or The Grand.

·
Registered
767 Posts
long hunter said:
This is going to be interesting. The one show i saw one of there so called experts could'nt hit a 10in gong at 100yds with a bolt military rifle from a prone position, I think he missed it more than 20 times and he had a spotter!!!!

No doubt in my mind i could out shoot them with my flinter.
Don't we all have spotters ?

·
Registered
767 Posts
brewyak said:
I agree, a lot of guys who have flinters will take theirs out of the gun cabinet on christmas and that is it. Range time is the most important thing with any gun esp a flinter. I shoot year long, and I think i get a little better every time I shoot
Every time I get out to the range my flinter comes with me . I also like to take mine out very season I can . I would have to agree with alsask . My 50 cal. flinter is equal to my 30-30 . The thing is I like to give all of my guns the same curry time . If I have a really good chance at a deer I like to have my flinter handy .

Mike

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh I really am not a big fan of the show, too much drama not enough shooting. It does catch my eye if nothing else is on the tube

1 - 20 of 52 Posts