The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone watch "Top Shot" on the History Channel? It just ended last night. While I found some of the challenges a little cheesy, it was kind of interesting to watch and after every episode I just wanted to go SHOOT! haha

I thought the 2 best guys made it to the end and the last challenge was pretty much neck and neck right to the end.

Not a great show but since it was shooting related it was pretty decent.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Casting call for next season is open for a few weeks yet. You get to pay all your expenses to the left coast for a few weeks to compete if accepted.

I'd like to see more guys explain the how tos of some trick shooting and to see more straight on competition.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Casting call for next season is open for a few weeks yet.
I thought it was open unitl last Tursday? Aug 12?

I enjoyed watching the show, missed a few episodes, but overall it's better than watching all the other "reality" type shows.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really G2? I didn't see every episode, probably less than half, but he was a strong competitor in every one of the firearm challenges that I recall seeing him in.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It was Ok. Not sure how knife throwing is a good contest to eliminate people. thouhg the young guy was good would have liked to see him in the finals.

The girlie planning and scheming was stupid.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I had one of the guys at work pick him as their favorite to win going into it...
Although, I picked somebody else to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
I seriously thought (being careful not to spoil it) that the contestant who picked the glass pane as "his" shot in the 2nd to last challenge would have won it all. I bet he would have, too, if he hadn't screwed up there.

I liked it overall. It would be boring television, but I'd love to see them shoot more on paper and see the REAL story about who's better. I liked that the contestants voted in the open as to who should be eliminated, and the two picked competed. That was good; made it a contest all the way through. For example, it was clear that people wanted Kelly (the young guy) off, but he kept winning elimination challenges and staying, so he clearly had some skill.

The high-speed photography was very, very cool, especially in the first episode. You can see the barrel whip in the SVT-40 and M-14 very, very clearly. Outstanding visual impact all the way through the show, which I think was the "hook" for a lot of viewers.

Also....some of the back story....Jim, who everyone thought was a weak link....he has repeatedly won matches at Camp Perry. That takes some serious shooting ability. There are some talented folks stepping to the line at Perry. Tara, who I didn't care for much, also won some CMP shoots. Again, that's tough to do.....so they are some serious shooters.

JJ....man, that guy is intense. I won't spoil the last show for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but when they do the first challenge with the plates.....that was unreal!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Adam said:
Really G2? I didn't see every episode, probably less than half, but he was a strong competitor in every one of the firearm challenges that I recall seeing him in.
I dont know why but I didnt pick the "WINNER" to win it all. I picked either the "kid" (who I didnt want to win after the show went on), The "Plumber" (who I liked as a person and felt he had a good chance), or the dude who thought he could break the window pane at 50 yards off hand. But now that I think about it, maybe those 3 people got most of the attention so maybe that is why I thought 1 of them would win it all. Either way, I enjoyed the show and cant wait til season 2.......

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
It is hard to show a fair competition between folks of different shooting disciplines. There must be 10 different pistol competition styles, fast draw, police combat, free pistol, sillywets, etc. and who knows how many with rifles and shotguns. Then therre are different archery disciplines, target, 3d and field. Each guy may be crackerjack in his discipline, but a slow fire pistol shooter is probably not that good at skeet. An great 3d shooter may not be all that good at fast draw.

I'd like to see challenges in which one guy can challenge another in any discipline out side their specialties. ie Jim vs Kelly with blow guns, flint locks, or atlatls, or bolos etc.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Zim, if you didn't see it, that was kind of like one of the last elimination challenges in the finale. Basically a shooting game of "H-O-R-S-E" with 6 weapons to choose from and a variety of "targets". Each of the 3 remaining shooters got to pick a weapon and target, choose the range and any other variables. Once that weapon was used, it was retired.

I agree with the knife throwing and the same could be said for the sling shots.

I think they did a pretty decent job of having a variety of challenges that put everyone outside of their comfort zones to really see who was the best "all around" top shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Some really interestering challenges. The "Professional" shooters really did not dominant the competition. This was good a show and it did not show gun usage in a negative context.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
unfortunatly shooting had little to do with this show imo. vote out who you thought might be your best competator(shooter). wasnt about shooting at all it was about peoples greed and beilg able to eliminate good shots to increase your cahnces of 100,00 dollars. the almightey dollar speaks

·
Registered
7,050 Posts
Loved the show, by far much better then most other shows during the same time slot. My wife even loved the show so we watched it each Sunday. The show had enough going on that it kept the interest of those who may not have ever turned on a shooting show before. IMO that's what made it great.

Some of you didn't like the politics, games, etc that were going on during the show - its a reality TV show and that's the nature of the beast. If you want pure shooting turn on the Outdoor channel and watch JJ and Blake compete in their competitive shooting sports.

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
Tried to watch it, but lost interest.

The shooting parts were okay, but the "melodramatic" stuff reminded me too much of the other idiotic "reality" shows on TV.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
when I was a kid, there were travling trick shot guys, sponsored by the factories, that would go around and put on demos, some even accepted challenges from the public. I will never forget the guy shooting an arrow into the center of the target, and then shooting the arrow directly in the nock with a 22 and shattering the arrow. I once saw a guy light a wooden match with a 22RF at 50 ft.

Wish they would take those Top shot guys on the road like they do the Idol top ten. .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts