The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to clean out my lure box today to kill a little time before the Super Bowl. Gonna try to consolidate some space this year and get rid of some stuff i never use... like a neon orange rooster tail with an orange blade. I must've been drunk when i bought that one. I realized that I probably catch most of my trout on 4 or 5 different lures if I'm not using bait. Started wondering what you would consider your top 3 (and I know, i know.. I'm not really giving any secrets away here. these lures have been being sold and catching trout for decades). Here are my top 3.

3. Black Niti-1 Hot Trout Killer
2. White Rooster Tail
1. Black Panther Martin w/ yellow spots, gold blade.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Orange rooster tails crush the steelhead!

1. Homemade spinners.
2. Homemade bucktail jigs on 1/32 heads.
3. 2" Rapala suspending jerkbaits.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Nothing to it..... I wont say theyre the best lures for trout, but I have yet to find a store bought spinner that a handmade one isnt as good as, and in many cases the handmade ones work better. The advantage is in making one that's perfect for your style of spinner fishing and the streams you fish. Plus theyre way cheaper!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Berkley 3" powerworm
Gold hus-lure
Yozuri Pin minnow
I've caught so many pelletheads on the Powerworms that I almost feel they should be outlawed... They just can't resist it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
When I used to spin my top 3 were:

1. Gold Hot Trout killer
2. Black Rooster Tail
3. White Rooster Tail

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've yet to use the 3" Power trout worms. Do you use the whole worm or pinch them in half? Also, do you thread them up the hook on a tiny jig head or a regular bait holder hook?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I mostly fly fish now, but when I have a spinning rod I use the whole worm with a 1/64 or 1/32 jig head depending on depth and flow. Trout magnet heads work good. Drift it like a regular worm then work it back upstream sloooowwww. twitching it on the retrieve. I've had multiple outings where I landed any where from 30-50 trout in 5-6 hrs of fishing. bubblegum and cheese are my favorite colors. I carry all the colors with me. If they slow down on one color just switch it up and they turn right back on. I've drifted them under a float on my fly rod as well. Same result, murder....

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
After hearing about it right here, the Niti 1 has been deadly for me the last 3 years, Last year thats all I used.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ryanpgh said:
I've yet to use the 3" Power trout worms. Do you use the whole worm or pinch them in half? Also, do you thread them up the hook on a tiny jig head or a regular bait holder hook?
I use the whole worm but I thread it on a regular bait holder hook.

My top 3 lures:

1) Green/gold Phoebe spoon
2) PM black with yellow dots and either silver/gold blade
3) Pretty much anything from Joe's flies

My top 3 baits:

1) Power worm
2) Garlic salmon eggs (pink and green)
3) Cheese salmon eggs

Note: the salmon eggs kind of loose their effectiveness during the summer so then I switch to grasshoppers/crickets

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If any of you were looking to pick up some Niti-1's, here is the order form. You can either print this and send it in or just call the number on it and make a transaction over the phone via credit card. Thats how i do it. I put an order in on Saturday and they showed up on Tuesday. I prefer the original, but i'm sure the p-nut and p-chip work well too.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Man the price has gone up over the years(like everything else). I still have some of their first order forms. I think they were typed out on a type writer.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha.. yeah they have gone up in price.. i was just saying that the other day to a friend of mine when i bought them. The first time I bought these, i think they were 6 for $10 at the outdoors show. oh well.. such is the times. i'll gladly spend the extra money for a better chance to catch fish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i noticed that too.. this is my first order without the little triangle piece underneath. i'm nervous. i better hang on to my old rusty ones, haha.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
it looks like the lure in the upper left picture on the form. it swims like a minnow. you wouldn't believe how much it looks like a real fish when retrieved. trust us, pick up a basic 6 pack of 1.5" (2 of each color). they'll be on your next top 3 list.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts