The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did you think he was smart when you (not you personally) voted for him? I thought he was a complete dolt. I couldn't vote for the other guy either so that tells you where I'm at. The very worst thing you can do in politics is vote for a politician that stands for an issue you hold dear. That's what they do or they wouldn't be politicians. In fact, now that I think of it you should never vote for any politician. Unfortunately we live in a republic and not a democracy so we gotta vote for someone or let the mob rule. We're pretty screwed in this country.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
There is nothing unfortunate about living in a republic as opposed to a democracy!! If we lived ij a democrtacy we would have already been stripped of many rights because of mob rule. You need to reconsider your point of view!

·
Registered
424 Posts
John S said:
There is nothing unfortunate about living in a republic as opposed to a democracy!! If we lived ij a democrtacy we would have already been stripped of many rights because of mob rule. You need to reconsider your point of view!
Very True.

Unfortunately, the "winner take all" system of electoral votes used in Pennsylvania and most other places seems to effectively negate the whole point of the "electoral vote".

Perhaps I'm missing something.

As far as "the amendment", I certainly did.
I was VERY suspicious of the support from the "gun-grabbers of a proposal that SEEMED to relax rules (at least in Pennsylvania).
Now I see why.

I'd like to think Toomey was played.
Unfortunately, I think he jumped at an opportunity to get publicity.
He should have gotten someone like the NRA to help him instead of trying to go solo. Hindsight is always 20/20...
He got publicity, but not the publicity he was after. He was NEVER going to get the Liberal vote, so this miscalculation may have ended his career. Then again... the voting public has amnesia.

·
Registered
53 Posts
John S said:
I sorta did rethink it in the end if you noticed. It was a slow work of thought. So you vote an hope for the best. I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think Toomey actually means well. I just think he's out-thunked by his competition. He really is not a rocket surgeon or a brain scientist. That crew there in the White House is pretty clever....meaning you need to meet them with equal cleverness. Toomey should have never taken on those guys.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Toomey has been very conservative and rated about 95% when voting on legislation that actually falls within the limits of the Constitution. I have happy with his work he has done on trying to get the fiscal matters straight in the government. He did vote for NDAA last year and i was not to happy about his response as to why.

I have no idea why he has jumped on board with Schumer on this issue. I think, as others have posted, he was more supportive and not so much on the writing aspect. But i would think as smart as he is, he would have seen this. Hopefully he sees the light quickly.

Can we expect the person we send to represent us be a subject matter expert in every issue. No, but some people believe that the people we elect know all. But we have the Constitution to guide us on issues that we not experts in. However, these yahoos forget the Constitution and think they know what is best for us.

If you would have voted for Sestack, both our Senators for this state would be lock in step with the presidents agenda

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bribery and extortion does have it's pluses. These folks live to get re-elected and we need to use that to our advantage. A vote on election day, and ONLY on election day is worth more than all the money on Wall St. They know this. Keep 'em scared.

Nevertheless the system is flawed...electoral college, supremes determining state electoral policies, an enforced two party system, etc

Who do you think picks the only two candidates you are allowed to vote for? it ain't you

TPTB determines your choices well ahead of time. So do you really have a choice?

Sometimes I wish we had a Parliamentary system...maybe it would allow for a 3rd party...but then again that 3rd party could be something we would disdain.

Just keep up the good fight is about all you can do.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
treed74 said:
Toomey has been very conservative and rated about 95% when voting on legislation that actually falls within the limits of the Constitution. I have happy with his work he has done on trying to get the fiscal matters straight in the government. He did vote for NDAA last year and i was not to happy about his response as to why.

I have no idea why he has jumped on board with Schumer on this issue. I think, as others have posted, he was more supportive and not so much on the writing aspect. But i would think as smart as he is, he would have seen this. Hopefully he sees the light quickly.

Can we expect the person we send to represent us be a subject matter expert in every issue. No, but some people believe that the people we elect know all. But we have the Constitution to guide us on issues that we not experts in. However, these yahoos forget the Constitution and think they know what is best for us.

If you would have voted for Sestack, both our Senators for this state would be lock in step with the presidents agenda
Very well stated. I don't know if Pat is just playing politics or he really believes in what he is doing. Either way, I am deeply disappointed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Toomey is NOT a libertarian. He just tried to get the libertarian vote. He may consider himself a 'Tea Partier' but what is that exactly? Lets say you are a person that is fervent on a single issue....like 2A rights. You will likely vote for the guy that expresses that issue toward your personal view the most, without regard to the other issues. But most folks don't vote on a single issue. Toomey is a Christian Right candidate that happens to support the 2A. If you were a libertarian you were somewhat conflicted about the guy. In fact it's very difficult to get libertarian candidates elected because they turn off most on the Christian Right because of their 'liberal' social views (no harm, no foul). However, there is no more better candidate for your 2A rights than a libertarian. I'm not saying this is right or wrong but that it's just a state of politics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.