The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the dreary day I decided to take the flintlock out for a stroll this afternoon and guess who made an appearance??

Yep , he stood broadside at 20 yards for a few minutes before resuming his own midday stroll the the woods. Murphys Law at its finest!!

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
Nice pic.You are a true sportsman.I wondered about this ML & bow at the same time.I know there are those who will use the ML to shoot a buck and tag it as an archery kill.I am just not sure I agree with this deal,I know I will carry one or the other,but thats not because I would be tempted,I'm just too lazy to tote both into my stands,lol

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Murphy's Law in action right there.

·
Premium Member
23,851 Posts
Nice buck there!!

Ever since Early ML Season has been a season here in PA....seems I always see a decent rack buck during that week plus have tons of turkey & bear walking all around me!! Im convinced they got a copy of the season regs! LOL!!

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grouse & britt said:
nice buck, some how im gussen Ya just got motivated to carry the bow
yeah I've hunted this area quite a bit but today I found an easily overlooked little honeyhole with a MASSIVE crop of white oak acorns not far from where this fella was. I will be in the climber Monday for sure overlooking the white oaks with the Mathews in my hand!!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
same thing happened to me and my stepson today! My brother was in the stand with him and he said the biggest buck he ever saw came running through the corn! Thats just our luck though!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Ha, ha. That's awesome! You know that's bound to happen when you put the bow down to, "take a quick doe for the freezer".

Reminds me of the first year they had the early muzzleloader season. I'd been having my tail handed to me by a trio of big does in archery season. I was catchin' up near acorn flats on State Game Lands. I'd be in the stand, they'd skirt my setup by 20 yards too far every night. I'd move the stand for the next hunt a bit, tweak the setup, they'd move back to my previous stand or skirt the setup again, etc. This cat 'n mouse game went on like this for at least 7 days, it was frustrating but hilarious at the same time!

So I figured, ok, it's muzzleoader season. That'll give me the extra 20 yards I need (i only shoot out to 30 w/ a bow for whitetail). Wouldn't you know a beautiful 8 pt walks in at first light and feeds non-stop all around the base of my tree stand. I mean, I can see him thru the rungs of my climber. At this pt, I had never had the chance to take a buck w/a bow so I'm in utter shock. 20 minutes he was there, completely oblivious and so I watched him eventually walk away and nothing I could do about it. i was crushed....

20 minutes later, in come the doe groups. GAME ON I said, you cost me that darn buck, etc!! Wouldn't you know, the doe comes to 5 yards out and is feeding right below me. I ease the cheek to the gun at a steep downward angle and WABOOOOOSH goes the muzzleloader.

After the smoke finally clears, I see the doe still standing there w/ a leaf hangin' out of her mouth just looking around, like what the H just happened!?!? I couldn't freakin' believe it, i tried to reload as I realized I shot right over her back by a fraction of an inch, she got a little squirely and backed out of range and dissappeared. UNREAL!!

And, the chess game continued... Deer 8, Hunter 0!
If you can't laugh about it the bad luck, you'll have long seasons ahead of you...hahaha.

·
Registered
160 Posts
That still makes for an exciting day in the woods. Though what you are experiencing is the story of my life. I see beautiful shooter bucks all year long,goose season, turkey season, etc, once Deer season shows up...lol now that s another story.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Ive had that happen to me twice in early muzzleloader season, in the first two seasons of it. After the second time, I went back to camp, grabbed my bow, and shot a buck 5 minutes after returning to my stand
. Now I dont even go out with the smokepole in the early season unless I already bagged my buck.

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
I always see bucks in the early muzzleloader season, it's
like they know...

·
Registered
273 Posts
No doubt. Took my son squirrel hunting last night both of us with .22's. I debated taking my flintlock or my bow since we were planning on sitting awhile. We saw 7 doe and 1 6 pt. buck feeding in the field amonst a flock of 13 turkey. I did shoot 2 groundhogs with the .22 and we had fun watching all the activity. Never seems to fail.
Oh didn't see a single squirrel!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts