The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I took honey supers off of 5 hives today. 15 shallows, 1 medium. I had one strong hive make 6 supers. A pretty good take considering the wet weather we’ve had this season. I still have 3 other hives I need to get to yet. I’m gonna extract tomorrow, should net about 300 lbs. ( six 5 gallon buckets )

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

This is the hive that made 6 supers, after I removed supers. Probably 50,000+ bees in this hive. After removing the supers, a lot of bees are bearding on the outside of the hive. They just lost a lot of room in their home.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Interesting work that. We do they beard? I do love real honey in tea, on apples and on fresh bread.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
That's pretty neat. That's a lot of honey. My buddy raises them and has about 4 hives. I've tried to raise about everything. Bee's may be on my next to do list. He has a couple swarm traps he wants me to set out. Might have to try it.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting work that. We do they beard? I do love real honey in tea, on apples and on fresh bread.
Bearding on the outside of this hive was do to two things....heat/high humidity as well as the loss of living space when the supers were removed. This hive has had a lot of bees hanging around outside for the last few weeks. Kinda like folks sitting out on their porch on a hot night with no AC. As the supers came off today, one by one, the crowd kept getting bigger. There was probably 8 lbs of bees outside when I finished up. I apply a product called Bee Quick, ( smells like almond extract) to a fume board above the supers, which pushes bees out of the supers and keeps forcing the bees lower into the hive. The few stragglers left get blown out the supers with a leaf blower by Mrs Brownie before I bring them inside. It took about 1.5 hours to take these off.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size extractor do you use? How long does the extraction take?
I have a Dadant 6 frame radial. All stainless, built like a tank. I bought the variable speed motor for it a few years ago to replace the hand crank. Should have done this 30 years ago. Working alone, I can uncap ( I use a hot planer ) and operate the extractor, doing about four 9 frame supers per hour. The 16 supers yielded 30 gallons ( 360 lb ) and I’ll probably get another 5 gallons from the capping tub once it quits draining.

Today’s project is to clean up the mess and put the empty wet supers back on the hives for the bees to clean out.

I’ll super up again in late August for knotweed and the September goldenrod flow. I’ve had hives make 100 lb of goldenrod honey in ideal conditions, 30-50 lbs is average.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I’ll super up again in late August for knotweed and the September goldenrod flow. I’ve had hives make 100 lb of goldenrod honey in ideal conditions, 30-50 lbs is average.
I always liked the goldenrod honey and you could sure smell it when the bees were bringing it in.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
If people would quit spraying/spreading poison all over their lawns we'd all be better off. I love having clover in my lawn. It brings in the honeys and the bumbles. That's a plus for my veggie garden too.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Bigbrownie, was it you that came to the Sportsmen's flea market at our club this past March with the furs? Kiski Twp. Sportsmen's Club.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
If people would quit spraying/spreading poison all over their lawns we'd all be better off. I love having clover in my lawn. It brings in the honeys and the bumbles. That's a plus for my veggie garden too.
Totally agree. When I was a kid our lawns had decent grasses, but also had lots of clover, with honeybees all over it.

We ran around barefoot and would get stung on the foot occasionally and would just sit down, pull out the stinger and keep playing.

Our lawns also had lots of dandelions. We ate the greens in the spring with bacon & vinegar dressing.

Now I see a lot of lawns that are pure grass, and they don't look right to me.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ve noticed that when the white clover blossums are left uncut in an area with a lot of honeybees ( like my house and camp ) , the bees pollinate the blossums and the clover really spreads well. My yard is almost all clover now, it’s choking out the grass instead of the other way around.

My Grandmother was a lady of 100% Polish decent. When I was a kid in the 60s, she would always hang her wash out on the clothesline in the summer. She could spot a 4 leaf clover while walking across the yard carrying a clothes basket full of laundry. She would find dozens of them every summer and give them to us kids. In spite of diligently searching for them for many years, I’ve never found one.

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Curious, what do you do with the wax and about how much is produced?
I melt all the uncapping wax in a solar melter, got about 4.5 lbs from this batch. Usually get about 10 lbs a year. Probably have 75 lbs of it out in the bee shed. My wife makes hand cream, lip balm, and candles from some of it. Lots of folks ask for beeswax, use it for everything from bow string wax to seasoning cast iron.

https://matteroftrust.org/101-uses-for-beeswax/

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I melt all the uncapping wax in a solar melter, got about 4.5 lbs from this batch. Usually get about 10 lbs a year. Probably have 75 lbs of it out in the bee shed. My wife makes hand cream, lip balm, and candles from some of it. Lots of folks ask for beeswax, use it for everything from bow string wax to seasoning cast iron.

https://matteroftrust.org/101-uses-for-beeswax/
That was what prompted my question >:)
Endless supply lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts