The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've really had to work up some courage to post, and now I don't know where to begin. It sounds freakish and unbelievable to most people, but since I was a young girl I've wanted to learn how to fish and hunt. Unfortunately, my family (when I was growing up) was horrified at the thought, and so I just read about fishing and hunting. Then I married a man who, while not horrified, was merely not interested in fishing or hunting.

Last year, I turned 50 and decided that I was going to do the things I've always wanted to do. So, I told my husband that I was going to learn to fish, and if he wanted to come along, that would be fine. Well, I've been learning for a year now, and I love it! My husband is growing more enthusiastic about it, and is even talking about buying a fishing boat.

I just turned 51, and I really want to learn to shoot and hunt. Am I too old? Is this something you need to grow up doing? I'm in very good shape, lean and strong. Nearly everyone thinks I'm much younger than I am. And if I'm not too old, how do I begin? Where do I start?

I'm interested in turkey hunting, if that's any help!

I truly would appreciate any advice or direction you could give me.

Ladypatriot

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
Absolutely not to old!

All you need is the desire, and you certainly have that! Heck! In some states, it's legal for blind people to hunt with assistance!

Welcome to HPA.

Where are you located? Perhaps we can point you to a club, or some members can assist you and the hubby!

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
That's a very honest question. I would reccommend that you folks hook up with a hunter and someone who fishes who is willing to take you along and show you the ropes. Also, it's very important to take the Hunter Safety class. Hunting, I think to thoes of us who have the experience, is almost a natural thing. However, if you don't know what you don't know the smart thing is to have soemeone with the experiences and knowledge to give some help. Good luck - your'er going to love it!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
You are never too old to learn the shooting sports. We have people still shooting registered skeet and sporting clays well into their 70's. I would recomend that you guys try and get together with some of your friends who have firearms and go to your local range with them. I'm not sure what are you are in, but there are alot of beginner classes offered from the NRA at local clubs. If you are in south central PA then you can contact East Coast Gun Sales in Ducansvillec and there instructors run a variety of classes.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
ABSOLUTELY NOT! You should contact one of our female members who a Hunts and fishes.Gal comes to mind,she is always quite helpful to anyone.She also has a ton of knowledge that she has no problem sharing.While I know that the guys here would gladly help (me included) maybe getting GALS female perspective would be helpful.I believe she would be an outstanding resource for not only you but anyone who needed some outdoors information.Where are you located?I'm sure you will have no trouble finding some helpful people on HPA.BTW,WELCOME.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I sure hope you're not too old cause we're the same age.
I plan on hunting grouse and bow for quite a few years and those two are both physical.Good luck

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
A few years back, a woman, probably over 50, came to one of events at my club that were for women only. There, they showed the women how to shoot hanguns, rifles, and shotguns. The shotgun part was where they threw claybirds and allowed them to try and shoot them. She loved it so much, she came to Wed nite trap shoots at the club.

Three years later, I saw an article in the local paper about how she was the new state champion in her age class for trap.

I actually think she was a retired teacher maybe?

In the same class, we had an 80 year old woman attend that had never shot a gun before and just wanted to learn how.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Good Luck you’re never too old to enjoy the outdoors.
I hunt with a guy who is 75, had polio as a kid and had by-pass surgery 9 years ago and he still is into it. He has not come up to deer hunt with me for the past couple years because he is raising his HS aged granddaughter and is unable to leave her by herself for 3 or 4 days. He surely isn’t the fastest guy in the woods and only goes a few hundred yards from the truck, but he gets his share of game.
I am older then you and I can tell you I still get like a kid at Christmas when the leaves start changing color.
Check around with people that you or your husband may work with that hunt and see if you could go along with them. Check the paper for sportsman clubs that might be having an open house or there is usually someplace you can pay to shoot that will give instructions, gun and ammo.
Maybe if you list what part of the state you’re from someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well if there wasn't enough in your post you registered on my son's birthday. You never know when and what calls you when it does or when you get to actually act on it. My son always fished as did I. He decided to pick up a fly rod at I think it was at 14 and then so did I into my forties. He was my inspiration, instead of me being his. He picked it up, put it down and then picked it up again and since then he has qualified for a National Competition that picks the best of the best for the USA Team FLy Fishing team. I'm no big competitor but it got me doing something I thought I could never do and hey I catch trout on my fly rod more than I don't which wasn't true for about 3 years.

I no great fly fisherman, no awesome marksman, but what I can and do is fish with my son on the stream and see what nobody else does. I hunt with my Father, my Brother, my Nephew and my sons and I don't have to wait to hear the stories after. I get to live them. It is never to late to learn and to share those moments. Squirrel hunting is a great way to get started and heck I'd grab a Barbie rod if that was the rod of the day. I have a tradition with my younger son that we reserve at least one day for a squirrel hunt. It is just the best bonding moment. It isn't fun at all getting the tiny pieces of hair off the squirrels and trying to cook them so you can actually eat them, which we do. We eat everything we take. Not always fun for me. So Ladies and Gentlemen if you have some great recipes please share!

Get busy with it. My hat is off to you! I remember my first deer and fishing with my parents and the funny thing is ..I don't feel any older.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You're never to old. My wife is 47 and she only recently started hunting and fishing with me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the many responses and messages of encouragement!

I probably should have included this information in my original post: We live in Montgomery County, in a small suburb outside Philly. We don't know any hunters, nor anyone that even owns any firearms. I'm determined to learn, though. And your encouragement certainly helps!

So, do you think the best way to find instruction would be through a club? There's a fishing/hunting store just a couple miles away, but it's fairly small and it seems to be a resource more for fishermen than hunters. Still, I think I'll ask in there in case the owner knows of any local hunting clubs. The suggestion for the NRA was good, and I had a "duh" moment because I should have thought of that myself.

If anyone know of anything in Montgomery County or Bucks County (we sit very close to the county line), please let me know. And I'm so glad I joined the message board.

Thanks again.

Ladypatriot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dutch said:
A few years back, a woman, probably over 50, came to one of events at my club that were for women only. There, they showed the women how to shoot hanguns, rifles, and shotguns.....

Three years later, I saw an article in the local paper about how she was the new state champion in her age class for trap.
I'm going to be doing the happy dance all morning! This is just the kind of story I needed to read. Maybe there really are other women like me out there; women who always wanted to be an "outdoors woman" but never had the opportunity or encouragement. For most of my life I envied women like the women on this message board, but I was busy working and raising children, and just kind of put it away in my mind. Once in a while I'd mention it to my husband, but it never led to anything. Then I turned 50, and I decided that I was going to become what I always wanted to be.

Thanks for sharing that story.

Ladypatriot

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
My wife turns 40 on the 30th and has never hunted.She has on rare occasions shot some small caliber rifles with me but not too often.What she has done for the past 20 years is watch;listen and learn.I went to the reloading room on Tuesday evening and found her with one of my reloading manuals and she was weighing powder charges and weighing bullets just to familiarize herself with the equipment.We then sat down and loaded 100 rounds for my 444 Marlin,and she was EXTREMELY helpful.She has over the past few days even brought up the subject of hunting with me.She doesn't like the cold but she said maybe she would hunt with a crossbow or an inline during the early muzzleloader season.I am really excited about the prospect of being able to share something I feel so strongly about with her.I don't want to rock the boat so I have decided not to get the crossbow or the inline for her birthday gift,I'm not sure she's THAT INTO IT,LOL
You just ask for help LADYPAT,and someone will answer your call.You will find that sportsmen and women are a special breed for the most part,and they are always willing to take a youngster such as yourself under thier wing.Don't give up if the first door you knock on isn't answered,persistence will pay off in the long run.Please keep us posted on your progress and in a year or two when you are having your pic taken with your first deer,bear or whatever,we will all take some pride knowing that HPA is where you came to get yourself "IN THE GAME" Good luck and take care.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I read an artical in the local paper last night about Jeff Holtz making it into the PA skeet hall of fame and in there it says that his mother (another hal of famer) at 86 is still shooting skeet. I know the Holtz's and didn't relize she was that far up there but that should let everyone know that you are never too old to shoot and have fun.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Boyertown - Boyertown Rod and Gun Association, Inc., 295 Sunset Hill Road, Boyertown, PA 19512.
Phone: 610-689-5847
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 & 50 yds), Outdoor Rifle (25, 50, 100 & 200 yds), Rifle Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Trap, Archery, Airgun
Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM to Sunset

Bristol - Ready Aim Fire, Inc., 6800 Elwood Ave. Suite F, Bristol, PA 19007.
Phone: 215-788-5898
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Pistol Silhouette, Archery
Range Access: Public

Chadds Ford - Targetmaster, 255 Wilmington West Chester Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317.
Phone: 610-459-5400
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol, Indoor Rifle

Chalfont - Target World, Inc., 529 W. Butler Ave., Chalfont, PA 18914.
Phone: 215-822-3900
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (25 yds), Archery

Media - Delaware County Sportsmen's Association, 168 Fox Rd., Media, PA 19063.
Phone: 610-565-5358
Facilities include: Trap

Phila - Security Programs Inc, 4730 Blakiston St, Phila, PA 19136.
Phone: 215-333-5050
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (55 Feet), Pistol Silhouette
Hours of Operation: 10:00-8:00 PM

Philadelphia - Holmesburg Fish and Game Protective Association, 5100 Pennypack St., Philadelphia, PA 19136.
Phone: 215-624-9454
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (25 yds. 50 yds.), Indoor Pistol (50 ft.), Outdoor Rifle (50 yds. 100yds.), Indoor Rifle (50 ft.), Muzzleloading, Trap, Skeet
Hours of Operation: 6:00 am- 10:00pm
Range Access: Private

I use to be a member not hard to join, inexpensive, easy to get to and a great facility with a lot of folks that will help you.

Philadelphia - South Phila Archery & Gun Inc., 831-833 Ellsworth Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147.
Phone: 215-551-4544
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (55), Indoor Rifle (55), Rifle Silhouette, Pistol Silhouette, Muzzleloading, Airgun

Southampton - Classic Pistol Indoor Range, 1310 Industrial Blvd, Southampton, PA 18966.
Phone: 215-953-7264
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yards), Indoor Rifle (25 yards)

Trexlertown - Rural Sportsmen's Association, Route 100 - 1/4 mile N. of Roue 222, Trexlertown, PA 18089.
Phone: 610-398-3278
Facilities include: Outdoor Pistol (100 yds), Outdoor Rifle (100 yds), Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays, Airgun

·
Registered
209 Posts
I wish all the ladies that want to get into shooting, hunting and even crossbows would come to my Women in The Outdoors Event. It is tomorrow Sept 26. I know for some it may be a little bit of a drive but it will be well worth it. We will be shooting crossbows, learning turkey calling and hunting, shooting rifles and so on. Think about it ladies I would be happy to have you. The registration is $40.00 but bring your check book for the silent auction.

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
Yes I would join a club.They should have instructors to get you started in shotgunning,handgunning,rifle,bow and anything else.This will also give you a place to practice.
Our club has quite a few women involved with trap shooting.Very good shooters too.Eventually you can get into competition leagues if you want.Pistol shooting is alot of fun and most clubs hold gun safety classes.
As for hunting most likely once you start you'll be hooked for life.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Birch812 said:
Chadds Ford - Targetmaster, 255 Wilmington West Chester Pike, Chadds Ford, PA 19317.
Phone: 610-459-5400
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol, Indoor Rifle

Chalfont - Target World, Inc., 529 W. Butler Ave., Chalfont, PA 18914.
Phone: 215-822-3900
Facilities include: Indoor Pistol (25 yds), Indoor Rifle (25 yds), Archery
It looks like these two are the closest locations to me.

Thanks so much for posting the list. I really appreciate your help!

LadyPatriot

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
We have a great group here Lady! Glad you found us! Let us know how it goes!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts