The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, like many of you, I was hoping to get some rain this week to put some water and color in the streams. Well, we got it......and way too much of it with more to come. At this point, I would have rather had low and clear conditions because the Northern streams have a good chance of being unfishable. Oh well, I always wanted to go searching for native streams.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
As low as they were to begin with, it would take quite a bit of rain to blow them out. Couple days of runoff yet too. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Hey if the northern streams do turn out too nasty to fish, that just means there will be a lot of holdovers for later on in the month!!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Becareful what you wish for ! I saw all you guys hoping for rain, hoping for cold weather etc. Well you got your wish! My creek went up easy 2.5 feet since yesterday. Being a Dad taking a 5 and 9 year old all of this is what I didnt want.

·
Registered
9,616 Posts
Super high and fast here but not that muddy yet. 80% chance of Thunderstorms all day so it will probably be close to unfishable after that.

·
20,167 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of grim news but it's over for 75% of streams in PA for the weekend. It just hasn't happened yet. The SW, NW, and NC in particular which are all already slightly above normal (but not high yet) now according to the USGS. Most of the state picked up at least .5" last night with some getting over an 1" (Few areas none). My area for the opener picked up .75" and streams are now back up to flowing nice and normal for this time of year which is better then how low and miserable they were. Tonight and tomorrow however it's getting toasted. 1-2" with locally higher amounts and everyone is calling for it. Not just a forecast here and there. Blow out city for the weekend in all but the lucky areas.
The only areas that look like they can absord that type of rain is the far NE right now. NC is showning a lot of light and dark blues on the USGS maps so you Potter bound boys best get those chest waders on cause it seems like you'll need them. Sunday COULD be decent but Saturday is history if this all takes shape.

My group has the finger on the cancellation button already for Saturday. I've been doing this a long time and I'm confident that bank full mud filled creek are greeting most of us on Saturday. Now would be a good time to consider plan B if you fish a larger stream. Dig around your area for that smaller stocked mountain stream to salvage your weekend. They will clear up much quicker. If you dont you may struggle. I'm actually pretty happy about all this. Not that I wish poor fishing on my bro's here at HPA but high water on opening day always coincides with my very best seasons. Mother Nature throws me a bone every 4-5 years and you can bet it will be another epic year if this is a wash out. I'll trade this one day for a whole summer of excellent fishing.

Who know though. If you look at the maps it pretty obvious we're in for some very serious rain but things can change. Best to be prepared and up to date.

·
20,167 Posts
pottercountyman said:
Super high and fast here but not that muddy yet. 80% chance of Thunderstorms all day so it will probably be close to unfishable after that.
Thanks for that update PCM. Keep the forum in the loop with a good honest report if you can. Potter stand to lose a lot of money if things are as bad as I think they will be by tomorrow evening. That I will not be happy about.

·
20,167 Posts
jmdb25 said:
Becareful what you wish for ! I saw all you guys hoping for rain, hoping for cold weather etc. Well you got your wish! My creek went up easy 2.5 feet since yesterday. Being a Dad taking a 5 and 9 year old all of this is what I didnt want.
JMD, dont be too dead set on Saturday with you kids man. It's real possible that by Sunday AM things will have cleared just enough for a bite to take place and there will be far less fisherman out so the kids could actually benifit. In high muddy water 75% of trout angler catch zero trout so there will be plenty left.

·
Registered
20,204 Posts
They are calling for us a chance of storms like last night again tonight and wind and rain tomorrow.
Saturday will be low 50's so opening day for me will be in a lake. This morning streams were way to fast and looked like chocolate milk.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I just checked the weather for the ANF area and they are calling for 1/2" of rain each of the next two days yet. Sunday definitely could be better than Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
We got over an inch of rain last night, The two streams I pass on the way to work are blown out. If we get any more rain, they will be unfishable for most. I have a few places on the stream that we fish in blow out conditions and do well. Sunday should be great!!!! Caught a bunch of night crawlers last night for the kids to use.

·
20,167 Posts
SuperX2Nut said:
It's all over, everyone go home, no point in fishing up here.
My experience tells me you may not be joking come tomorrow night haha. I'm sure you have a stream that wont get muddy though. Call that one a hunch.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Western Warren County got hit pretty good yesterday...The Big Brokey looks more like a whitewater stream and i would think that one is out of play for the weekend. The smaller streams are cloudy and higher but not terrible for for worms and weight...be lots of folks on the small runs Saturday I would guess..Blue eye, Thompson, etc.. On a bright note I saw 11 turkeys and 2 hen pheasants during my morning commute and green is peaking from the ground in spots.

I planned on cutting more trees this weekend either way, kids got lots of things to attend,etc.....let's hope we have a nice long spring for the fisherman to match the long winter.

·
Banned
3,541 Posts
Trout 2003 said:
SuperX2Nut said:
It's all over, everyone go home, no point in fishing up here.
My experience tells me you may not be joking come tomorrow night haha. I'm sure you have a stream that wont get muddy though. Call that one a hunch.
I'm working the first weekend, I'll be more than happy to have a weekend full of high water and low angler numbers.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Well looks like Ill take my fly tying stuff and buy a little more choice beverages

1 - 20 of 63 Posts