The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i set some fox/yote sets...i caught a red there last year in a couple days with only 2 sets there..the other was investigated by a yote..

Today it was loaded with fox scat...

I put in 6 sets...all within 100 yards or so tops...5 within 30 or 40yds..

I know if a location is good enough for one set its good enough for 2...but kinda felt maybe went over board?? But is that possible?? Only issue i could think of.was too many scents in the area...but i dont know...

Only setting a few days...probably pull em Sunday...just gunna be rough checking before hunting every day...Saturday i figured i would suck it up...

I love the feeling of having steel in the ground!!! Cant wait for tomorrow!

Wished i was thinking a little and would bought some mink bait/lure...all i have is fully modded #2s but could put some pocket sets behind the camp in the creek...i am sure mink and coon use the creek...

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
punch a pocket set in,use the smell of fresh dirt for lure.......
any mousetraps at camp?
crayfish in that stream?

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was my initial thinking...ive never tried it...they will have a lot to smell and look at thats for sure lol....

I also typically dont have to deal with coons or grinners as i usually dont set till after deer season when winter set in...so that was another reason...if i get some plugged up sets i will still have some working sets...

I have high hopes for the sets....ive never made a catch the first nite...usually 3rd or 4th for some.reason...but still cant wait for morning!

Tried a new set..actually 2 of them...the combine left a few "mounds" of dirt and a bunch of bean stems etc...looked like a small hayset...tons of eye appeal...they stuck out like a sore thumb...lured em and set em...

Odd i couldn't turn up any yote sign...even walked some ATV trails usually littered with yote sign...i rather skin fox! And i dont really have any fox at home.anymore..just yotes...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm never looked for crawfish...but there are native trout so i bet there are...peanut butter and marshmallows will work for coon too....i have them handy....

I think i will be playing in the creek tomorrow...i dont coon trap at home..i run dogs..the coon are for them...but might as well play in the creek while i am here! I never do any "water trapping". Can also probably find some blind set locations if i look...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: too many sets?? update!

Well i peeked over the hill this morning to check my sets...sure enough i had a red!! Big male...dirt hole with a couple field rocks for backing..

Funny thing was it was the last set i put in "for.good measure". I have 3 right within feet of eachother...think he hit a flat set first..had lure on sheeps wool between 2 flat stones propped open by pebbles for air circulation..sheeps wool was pulled out..

otta go remake the set...

Pretty fired up to have a good catch on my first check of the year!!

Think he was an old fellow...face looks "gray" and teeth worn badly...

Leather looks blue...but thats about as close to a cherry red as ive seen around here..

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

Way to go Mauser! I obviously need to set heavier in one area.

·
Registered
325 Posts

No such thing as too many sets.... I used to carpet bomb and never found it to be detremental to the area. My goal this year was to cut donw the amount of sets on a property and work on spot on locations and stall out areas.... We'll see at the end of the year how the numbers look with the new strategy. I gotta tell you I am forever fighting the urge to pound in addtional sets on a property but after I analyze what I beleive to be their patterns, I regain confidence in my set locations. Now, I am extremely guilty of gang setting (4-6-?) traps in my chosen locations in very close proximity of each other. Pile them up and good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Just checked em...saw 2 sets of eyes and got fired up! Started down the hill and one took off! One was in a trap....the other wasnt! It ran to the woods and sat down....couldnt ID it as a fox in my light..it ran 20yds farther and started barking..sure enough it was a fox...hope it is waiting tomorrow!

Set was a "mauser bean set"..piled up some bean stems and put red urine and gland on it and a trap guarding it...blended trap...it worked! The combine left a few piles like that and they stuck out like a sore thumb so i made my own pile and.lured it...

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Got the set remade before dark! If i have another fox or yote in the morning i will leave em set...if not, i will pull em and hit em again during fisher season..took me 45mins to get there.and back this.morning...thats 45mins of sleep i could have gotten lol..and its a longgggg day doggin for.me..so if empty tomorrow i will be happy with 2 and pull em till later...

Todays catch was a female....cant wait to skin a frozen fox tomorrow lol...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts