The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never trapped before, is it too late in the year to get into trapping?

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Know what? I don't know. But, if I were just getting into trapping, and I could not actively participate this year, I would continue to prepair: read, ask questions, check out gear, scout sites, learn about the animals I want to trap and study the seasons and rules. If you miss the trapping season, the next one is right arround the corner and you have some studying to do!

·
Registered
4,148 Posts
I never sets traps until after the first Saturday in deer season because alot of the land owners hunt deer and I don't want to be interfering with them and their families. Also a high chance of theft and shot critters when everyone else is in the woods.
I like the solitude of the late season anyway because I've got the early mornings all to myself. You'll deal with less grinners and stinkers when it gets real cold, you'll see tracks in the snow to teach you where and how to set, and fur is as prime and valuable as it's going to get.
I think you're starting at the perfect time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the class that you are referring to required by law?

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
ED C. said:
Yes, you need to take the class.
Ed,

How the Weasels Doing?

What Class do you mean?

Flifisher says never trapped Before...but has he Hunted? If so, he already has the class under his belt for trapping!

Flifisher, have you Taken the Hunters/Trappers Education Class Needed to buy a hunting license by First time hunters?

If so, the answer to your Question is No it is Not to late to get into trapping this season!
You should try to ask for someone in your area who has trapped many seasons to help you out and show you hands on the basics of Trapping......Will help you out Very Much and also READ Everything like has been said, look for signs of Trappable Critters and leanr everything you can!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
we just put out 40 land sets. all canine/coon sets and this is right after thanksgiving we hadnt had more than 5 footsets out. i like waiting till after thanksgiving just because we get the prime fur then. not like it matters to most. but we like the good ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with woodywoodduck, no it is not to late to start this season, I never start until after the first week of deer season. What you must know is trapping has a hugh learning curve, the only way to shorten the curve is tagging along with an seasoned trapper. I'm sure you will love it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have hunted every year since I was 12, This is the first year in about 10 or 15 years that I have purchased a fur takers liscence. I have been trying for a few years to call coyotes without much luck. I live in an area that is over run with Raccoons, and coyote numbers are pretty good here as well. I would like to get into trapping as a way to try and further my knowledge of everything that goes on in the woods. Is there a list of trappers anywhere on the PA Trappers Assn. Website that has people who are willing to mentor someone new.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Go for it! Start slow, gather a lot of info on here and Trapperman.com and get a few sets out when you think you are ready. Thats what im doing for the past two years and Im starting to catch some stuff, so it is paying off.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I always trap over Christmas,not before then. I have the whole vacation my kids have off. Fur prices suck though.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Been years since I put a trap out before Christmas but this year I'll start in earnest with the start of cat season. But you'll find it more difficult with frozen ground, freezing rain, and melting/refreezing snow.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd have to agree with some of the others here, it is never to late to start. Learning should be an ongoing goal and every bit of info you gather will benefit you one day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts