The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a few pounds of Ladino clover and chickory and was wondering if it is too late to get started.Reason for the late start=Texas Eastern is doing some upgrades to the pipeline that crosses the property.They are currently doing the final grading and should be finishing up within a few days.On a positive note they are doing the liming and fertilizing!!!
Afew pics of the area...

Access road they are using through the farm

Was thinking about hot-wiring this lil' fella to do some food plottin' but figerd they might frown on that

Thanks guys!!!
Oh,and I did pick up some purple top turnips,thinking about planting them on the access road later on!!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I say plant it. Never too late to plant Clover. As for the planting area, it's perfect!
Plant now before the weeds take over again.

BTW. The Purple Top Turnips are recommended to be planted in early August. But how often are they going to use that access road? Reason, if you plan on planting the Turnips on the road they have a heavy stalk on them. Driving over them will only crush and kill them. Maybe Clover on the road with the Turnip in the larger area off the roadway. The Clover will recover better when driven over.
Just my suggestion.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Cowdawg!! Will wait awhile for the turnips.
As for the road,they are only using it till they finish this project.I have kept it mowed several times a year to get to some of my stands.Not a whole lot of larger trees in the area but this one gets alot of use (climber)and has been very productive.

Just hoping planting something on the road increases the "traffic" a bit!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I say, go for it. Planting clover is always a gamble. If we continue to get ample rain, you will probably be ok. If it drys out now the clover might take, but you might try planting everything in brassicas and turnips about Aug 1st. then frost seeding your clover again next March. Either way you come out a winner. Most of the expense comes from the lime, fertilizer and ground prep. Keep us posted.

Just curious. Was the lime and fertilizer required in your lease? Or are they doing that on their own? I was wondering because the gas exploration has become quite busy here in NE PA.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Ok there is one in every group, at least the groups I am in

If it were mine I would wait, unless you are assured that you will have moisture all summer. I would suggest waiting until late Aug or early Sept and plant rye or wheat then over seed it with clover. The wheat/rye takes the hit and allows the clover to establish.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
I have had success with planting clover in July. I plant mine in with buckwheat with good results.

You may want to consider planting some buckwheat with it. Right now is prime time for buckwheat planting, it will give you good early growth and draw the deer in. They tend to leave the young clover alone giving it a chance to grow.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
If I was going to plant now, I would also suggets buckwheat as the nurse crop. Plant at maybe half the recommended rate. It will give the clover shade in the hot sun, keep the areas more moist after a shower or storm and keep the deer from nipping the new clover. In late August, mow off the buckwheat and release the clover.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.I'm really liking the Buckwheat idea,certainly makes sense to me!!! Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
If it were mine I would wait, unless you are assured that you will have moisture all summer. I would suggest waiting until late Aug or early Sept and plant rye or wheat then over seed it with clover. The wheat/rye takes the hit and allows the clover to establish.
I agree with Flint and others, give it a nurse crop ryem, buckwheat or even oats... one of the best plots I have now was clover and oats in the ground in late July...next year you will be dancing in clover.

Man I would LOVE TO HAVE a blank canvas like that...please keep us posted and PM me directions to the farm..

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
i planted clover and buckweat yesterday.also 4 apple trees.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the progress at the farm.It's been extremely hot and dry here the past few weeks but recently it seem that pattern may be changing.I spent many hours on the tractor dragging the soil pulverizer around to loosen up the compacted soil.In all I got 2+- acres worked and seeded(clover and buckwheat) along with another 1/4 acre that will get a brassica/turnip mix in a week or so.
As I mentioned before,the pipeline folks were taking care of the lime and fert. but after I got the right-of-way seeded,they came in and strawed the area-certainly wasn't expecting that!!!
Keeping my fingers crossed that this rain/weather pattern continues!!

Also had a few "supervisors" show up to make sure I was doing everything right!!!

This fella came outta the grass a few feet from me.I put my hand in front of the camera to show how close he was.

Thanks for looking and a big THANKS for all of the advice,much appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LabandBirdman said:
Very cool, I'm rootin' for ya...is that a Fisher or a Mink? (I'm not a Furbearer dude)
I'm guessing mink.I don't think there are fishers in this area.Whatever it is there's too many of 'em.Had one practically walk across my boots last year before daylight on the rifle opener.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.