The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to strip the bark and apply roundup. But I didn't know if the nutrients have already returned to the roots. Thoughts?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I would think that now is the perfect time for hack and squirt.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Cut it down and apply to the stump. Perfect time of the year.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
CJBS2003 said:
Sqrlhntr said:
Thanks. I don't think I have ever heard or seen one.
Be thankful, they are complete trash...
Yep, and if you cut one down without killing the stump, they send up root suckers all over.

I have seen deer browse them tho, but, not preferred by any means.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have to say, one of my best field-edge tree stands is in a group of Ailanthus ("tree of heaven")!! But other than that, I agree that its a useless and prolific invasive species. Since they're either dormant or headed that way now, I'd hold off on doing anything with them at this time. In the Spring, when they start pushing, do a circumferential basal spraying of the trunk with the herbicide, Pathfinder-II. I don't think its Restricted. I've used it and it works very well for permanent removal of Ailanthus.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Yes, but isn't the sap flowing downward into the roots right now????

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I guess there is a difference in how each chemical is absorbed?

You have plenty of experience with the basal spray, so, it probably is best in summer.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
Agree. With all the juices traveling down to the roots, now would be a perfect time to girdle the bark and pour down the herbacide into the wound.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Well, according to the info Magnus provided, now is not the time for chemical treatment.

That tree is a certainly a pain to control.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts