The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been out three days now over the past 7 days and havent found any edible mushrooms yet. I live on 165 acres in NE pa and usually will start finding "pipinki" (thats what we call them) about now. With all this rain, I figured it would be a good year. Been looking for sheepshead but no sign of them either, havent seen one of those in several years. Do you guys think the "pipinki" will be out soon?? Maybe ill give it a break for a few weeks and start again. Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
found quite a few yesterday. soaked overnight and started cleaning 7.30 am. finished up at 2 pm. pressured canned 15 jars. its definitely not too early here in southwest pa. just wished the cleaning would be as fun as finding them.LOL

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I had a coral mushroom omlette last night. it tasted like I had used a handful of dirt instead of mushrooms. nonetheless, it had wild edible mushrooms in it so I saved that much money.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Found a 20 pounder last week and a small one today. Lots of smooth chanterelles, black trumpets, several hedge hogs. Lots of chicken mushrooms as well. central pa

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOOOHOOO......I moved about 1/4mi away from my usual spot and BAM, made a killin. Picked two FULL shopping bags of Stumpies (popinki) cleaned, boiled and packaged/froze them last nigh!! Ill be back there tonight to get a bag for a friend. Now, I just need to take a fat doe with my recurve to have something to eat with them!!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Spirit Bear can you please post a picture of the popinki's.. Think I found a bunch but not sure. Found 4 big fresh sheephead and 4 dried out ones. Left about 6 to grow a little bigger. Also picked a couple dozen oysters for the first time. Sauteed them in butter and they were not that great. Anyone tell me a good way to prepare them.

Thanks Roy

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I found 4 big sheepheads in the SW corner last Saturday. I also picked a few Puffballs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts