The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I feel bad that the young man was killed, but he was an idiot for getting out of the car and walking into the middle of the track to confront Stewart. Black fire suite and helmet too boot. Sad situation all the way around.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
A lot of people are saying that he swerved into the guy......

It looks to me like he goosed the throttle and steered away from the guy.....

People don't understand that you steer a sprint car more with the throttle than you do with the wheel....

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I agree Buckshot. The video can be found on Google, and I watched it several times.

Sad situation for all involved. I realize the driver was mad and running on emotion, but it was a bad choice to get out of the car and go down in front of other cars on a "not well lit" track.
Not hard at all to see where Tony didn't see him until it was to late. To think that Tony intentionally swerved to hit another driver is ludicrous.

Sad part is that a 20 year old young man lost his life last night.

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
What I think happened was Tony hit the throttle knowing the rear end would fish tail some to scare the guy or "bump" him , not to kill him.
When two people are having issues and one ends up dead that's a
touchy situation .

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
atr said:
What I think happened was Tony hit the throttle knowing the rear end would fish tail some to scare the guy or "bump" him , not to kill him.
When two people are having issues and one ends up dead that's a
touchy situation .
The rear end clearly slides to the inside as he hits the throttle like he just saw the guy, and was trying to act evasively........thats how it looks to me anyways

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
The kid should not have been out on the track yelling! Dang shame he got hit, but he brought it on himself! Sometimes you just need to take a deep breath and let it go!

·
Registered
22,041 Posts
Looks like he didn't see him until the last second.....And the move Stewart made does appear evasive in nature.

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
Without more angles it is impossible to tell what EXACTLY happened...

Tony could have been a little further to the outside of the track than those in front of him and didn't have as much time to react...

Tony might not have seen him as quickly as the other drivers did and didn't swerve fast enough...

OR

Tony could have been a little irked that this young punk kid dared to confront him on the track and decided to let the kid know it with a dirt shower or something and miscalculated how close he was...(on that note it could have been a combination of Stewart and the kid being hot headed and the kid continued to move closer as Stewart made his move)...

As I said, it is impossible to tell anything from the angle of the video that I have seen...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
While it was highly unlikely intentional in any way. Or bring about criminal charges from the DA. It will cost Tony a boat load of $ in a civil proceeding. And he will have to live the rest of his days with his actions. Maybe two legs and a life are enough to make him stay out of the sprint cars.

The boys parents are the ones I feel for. No parent should have to bury a child.

·
Registered
16,456 Posts
Curious to know what the communication between Stewart and his crew chief was leading up to that lap. Might be telling in how complicit Stewart was in all of it.

·
4,230 Posts
That is an unfortunate situation. I am not very familiar with sprint car so I won't speak to the driving aspect but Ward should not have gotten out of that car.

It is a shame this happened, a good example of when cooler heads need to prevail.

·
Registered
19,611 Posts
Sounds like it was a case of the old lion trying to teach the young lion a lesson and it just went terribly wrong. Can you say "road rage"
I feel for both families, no matter who was at fault a person lost their life.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Fleroo said:
Curious to know what the communication between Stewart and his crew chief was leading up to that lap. Might be telling in how complicit Stewart was in all of it.
Sprint car drivers don't have any communication with their crew, unless they are using hand signals somewhere around the track. It's not nascar.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts