The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations for a tonneau cover for my 2016 F150. Prefer fold over roll. Like to stay under $500. Any recommendations on brand? Where to buy? Easy of use? etc.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have an Undercover one-piece on my truck. Pluses are security and can double for a work platform. Negative is having to either pop it off or ride with it partially open and bungeed in place when I load something taller than side rails of the bed. It pops of in about 60 seconds, not a big deal but a two man operation.

Having learned this the hard way, I will go with the Trifold next time - no need to remove it and pretty much water tight from what I have gathered from others. No more water seems to leak in than what comes in from around your tailgate with any other system.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I always buy the cheap trifold soft covers off eBay on my trucks. Never paid over $200 for one shipped to my door. Never had a problem with any of them either.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I bought a Gator Tri-fold on Amazon for my new Chevy in September. I don't recall the exact price but it was less than $300 and it's actually nicer than the Extang Trifecta Tri-fold I had on my old Chevy (those are right around $400.00 on Amazon).

·
4,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I paid a little more but got the Extang eMax Tri-fold. Should arrive tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
2x what shadowhunter said I also had the same one on 3 of my trucks since 2004. I had an issue with one that was replaced after 5 years for free. Great service.

The problem with the cheap trifolds is that they don't fold all the way up and you have to completely take it off if you want to put a quad in the bed. The more expensive ones do fold all the way up and lays flat against the rear window. However, the one my buddy had was about 300 dollars more than the roll up that I have.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have a 99 Silverado I bought new and have babbied it all these years. It has a Leer cap now, but that needs to be replaced. I have been surfing around the internet for a hard tonneau that is easy to install and particularly is waterproof. My greatest concern is buying one that does not leak water, even in a auto car wash. One web site says all of them leak, some worse than others, but does not identify the good ones, nor the worst ones. I am willing to spend 1K; do not ant a snap one type. Are the hard covers with side props better than the fold ups?

Please tell me what you have and what you like/dislike about it. Is it waterproof, even in a auto car ash? Thanks

·
Registered
25,487 Posts
Only time my Access roll up leaked, was when water pooled along one edge while parked in the camp driveway. Realized it had several small pinholes where the fabric stretched over the side rails and I'd managed to rub off some of the vinyl, exposing the fabric.

No shame in that, it was new on a 2010 Silverado and is now on what was a new 2014. My fault for laying sheets of plywood, drywall and other materials across it, moving them around at our gun club over the years. IIRC, it cost around $400 when new?

Easy fix. Bought a small tube of black automotive silicone sealant and carefully brushed it over the frayed areas of the cover where it goes over the rails, with a little "artist" brush that I snipped the bristles off short enough to work.

Ain't leaked since. It's now almost 9 years old. Velcro side seals still stay tight; end rail that locks and seals against the top of the tailgate, still tight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts