The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading about exeryones experiences in the specific conditions of each given night. I often find myself checking the forum for updates and current success, or not so successful stories. With the storm past, the temps right around freezing and the wind calmed down, tonight's looking too good to sleep through. There are so many factors that can change the way things will work and by tomorrow, calling can be a whole different ballgame. So please share your thoughts or experiences for tonight's, last night's or by all means any other nights conditions and how they effected your hunt.

With only one month of predator hunting under my belt this type of information is of great value to me.

Looking forward to everyones replies. I'm off to hit the woods.

-Matt

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
We hunted a number of different farms in different towns from 9-230 and didn't see a single eye. Seemed like a good night weather wise but nothing wanted to play

·
Banned
4,532 Posts
Sposed to get a nice rainstorm tonight (Thus.) so that's out for me. I was looking forward to heading out. If it comes real late I'll be out early to try and get some stands in.

John

·
Registered
837 Posts
Called 3 different locations last night and just one fleeing glimpse of eyes . . checked a bunch of emptry traps this morning then too. I thought last night was gonna be a good one as well but no go I guess

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Im planning on heading out early before the nasty stuff rolls in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Killed a hard charging grey at my second stand last night. Harvest time was 1:45am, light wind from the northwest, charged 15 seconds into calling sequence, flattened at 30 yards with the 10 gauge.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I called last two night with success. Last night I made 5 sets and netted one grey fox and two red fox. Data from last hunt is listed below Matt.

Temperature - 29 degress to 33 degrees.

Moon - 1st day of the First Quarter moon phase.

Wind - very light 2 to 3 mph range but not consistent.

Fox response - all came in under 9.5 minutes with the fastest one being under 30 seconds.

Time - 0015 hours to 0520 hours.

Game movement - Deer, skunk and fox movement observed. No coyotes heard or seen.

Weapon - 17 Mach IV with 20 grain Hornady Vmax bullets.

Range shot - Longest was 53 paces. Closest was 11 paces.

Drink - Monster and spring water.

Food - Mc Rib sandwich and boy was it messy.

Cover scent/attractant - none unless you count the McRib.

Calls used - Backstabber and a custon call. The Foxpro Scorpion was also used on two sets.

Wind notes - All reds circled downwind. The greys came straight down the barrel.

We have a storm moving in so I don't know how well the hunting will be. I plan on checking it later but, it didn't look good where i planned to hunt.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for sharing. Thanks for the Data Kirk, that is very interesting. Considering doing something similar for my hunts. I can see how this would be a very useful tool.

For me last night consisted if one long very exciting stand. No kill but it was really fun.

I walked in to a spot I have never hunted but have scouted before. About 200yds down a logging road I made my stand. I placed the Foxpro Spitfire in a tree and setup 40 yds behind it. A gentle fairly consistant wind blowing to the southeast and sometines shifting south made for the perfect stand for keeping my scent away from the critters. I began calling with the Foxpro Lucky Bird and let it play for about a minute then muted like I normally do. About 10 seconds of silence then I heard a howel within the 100 yd range. Remember this was through the woods so I had no chance of spotting eyes until they came out onto the road. I took a break to gather my thoughts then called sapreingly on and off with longer breaks and shorter calling still with Lucky bird. I did this for about half an hour and a few times thought I was hearing something moving in the direction of the howl but still, no eyes on the road. by this time I was hearing yotes in the distance as well. After I stopped hearing action and lost faith in the lucky burd I decided to try howeling. I kept silent for about 5 mins and played the female coyote bark/howels also on the foxpro just for the durration of one howel. Immediately I had a response in the distance but nothing from the 100 yds out where I heard the one earlier. I began talking to them by howeling about 5-10 seconds after they stopped howeling as that was how they were responding to my calls. About 3 or 4 times of this back and fourth stuff then the close dog replied for a second time and it was amazing! My heart was racing and by this time I had been on the stand for about 45 mins and haden't lost interest for a split second. I tried howeling back once again after about 10 seconds and no reply. I then began playing one or two howels every 3-5 minutes looking for another response or for something to show its face on the road. I kept doing this for about another 30 minutes and the closest thing i got to a response was hearing movement from that direction. Now it seemed as though I would hear the movement shortly following my howling which is what kept my interest in the stand for so long. This may have been the case but, was my howeling actually bringing yotes in or just starteling other alimals and that was the movement I was hearing. After I did not feel the howels were doing any good anymore I played a round of the foxpro coyote locator. Immediately after this I heard more intense movement (again not sure if it was yotes or deer of whatever) so I let out a few sequences of the Coyote Locator while litesning carefully then sat quietly for about 10 minutes. Activity had died down. No movement no howls so I left quietly and hope to come back after some time for another go at it. Truly an amazing experience.

Any opinions? What was wrong or rite about my doings? Ablosutely no cyote experience so far so any exvaluations or anything would be great.

Thanks again everyone

-Matt

·
Registered
927 Posts
I think coyotes just howl back and forth not to meet up, I just dont think they can help themselves lol, like when a siren goes off and they all start going, I dont think they go find the sorce though, Iv had this happen a dozen times and never seen one, even just as close as you were, maby somone would know better.

·
Registered
978 Posts

Matt,

I was too busy to fool with pictures but, I did manage to get a picture of the last fox of the hunt. I call him my McRib fox. Man was he licking his chops.

Kirk McKendree

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Tonight was pretty much a bust. Saw eyes moving to next set, couldn't tell so i deemed it a UFO. Unidentified Furry Object. Saw 1 deer. Hopefully monday will be better once wind dies down.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I was out all morning from 7 to 11am and didnt see anything, I got a red fox last thursday but it was much colder the frost looked like snow. I was very surprised I didnt see anything with the weather coming and the wind was about 10-15 in my face all day set up 6-7 times in grasslands with thickets and pine forests bordering.... it was a very large area I walked a couple miles, last week the fox I got was at about 9:30am on the side of a feild in the area i talked about above. Once it get colder and snow hits the ground most of thier food goes mia, I belive it being so warm this winter so far has kept more food availible for them so they havnt had the motivation like they get in the late winter, if its not raining tonite i would try if you uave somwhere close enogh if not tommarrow while its snowing... even if you dont get one it will be fun. good luck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tonight was a no go for me, the rain came in too early. It looks like tomorrow will be pretty good but unfortunately I have obligations into the later evening but it won't hurt to wait a few more days for my spots to rest. I have been hunting hard the past few weeks and as a rule don't go back to any spots without waiting a week but a little longer will only bring good things for next time.

Thanks for the pics Kirk. I was going to ask why you didn't have your rifle with you then I saw the second pic and noticed you were using your handgun for that hunt. Thing must hit em hard. haha

Loving the updates, Keep em coming!

-Matt

·
Registered
978 Posts
Matt,

lol. I just realized that. I hold my rifle at the ready so my hand is in that postion a good bit. I wonder if that is a sign of hunting to much lol.

Kirk McKendree

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.