The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on heading over to Delta Peachbottom Fish and Game tomorrow around 1 PM at the latest just in case anyone is interested. Hopefully the flippin place will be open----Im a tad bit miffed in they have booked almost every weekend for the next two months which means the ranges are closed???????????? Ive been a member for over 10 years and I have a few choice concerns at the next meeting!! Right before deer season and that many weekends CLOSED!!!! UGGGH

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you make those targets brown with legs and a white tail?

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL------I am a bit miffed at my club for taking away the majority of weekends when most working folk cant shoot during the weekdays. A bit insensitive if you ask me.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
bunky ive notice a lot of clubs doing that booking events on weekends.it seems that they are running it like a bussness and inturn its all about how much money will that event makes us.its not about the members who help build the club cut grass and other stuff its show me the money just my opinion

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
mountainman09 said:
bunky ive notice a lot of clubs doing that booking events on weekends.it seems that they are running it like a bussness and inturn its all about how much money will that event makes us.its not about the members who help build the club cut grass and other stuff its show me the money just my opinion
Typical club has a handful of people who do all the work. They need to be run like a business to survive.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thimk that is most likely the case but to book that many weekends prior to hunting season is a crock. I will have my say at the next meeting. It really only affects those of us who work full time....Weekdays fit the retired running the club.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
You really have to look at it from both sides, the guy that pays his dues and comes out for the work weekends does so for a place to shoot in his liesure time. On the other hand, the club needs to survive financially and needs more revenue than the dues bring in. Add to that the myriad of shooting disciplines that the members are involved in, whether Police combat shooting, pistol sillywets, long range slow fire, MOA benchers. Members who are active in these organizations want to have competitions that necessarily are held on weekends. Competition to book weekends for these gets stiff during prime seasons. The sillywet shooter, combat shooter and bencher end up divvying up the weekends and the little guy who just wants to shoot gets squeezed out. I once had the annual schdule for the Fairfax Rod and Gun club, which has several dedicated ranges, It seemed like the different pistol competitions were every three weekends a month all year. The Schuetzen Verein had the rifle range one Sunday every two months, The bench rest shooters had it one Saturday every month, the off hand shooters had the rifle range a weekend every month, add to that the public shooting days permitted in October and things got jammed bad. Gun shows and weekend competitions can be big revenue catches for little clubs. My local club dues are just $20.00 a year. I have no doubt that the dues are probably less than a third of the cost of running the club.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zimm---as always you most likely hit the nail on the head. I think I pay 65 dollars a year which is a bargain but if I cant shoot on weekends prior to hunting season except the week or so prior with a multitude of people all waiting for a bench -----just frustrating ----

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Hey at least the nit wits check the day before the season. The idiots trust a 5 year old zero with 20 year old ammo or the boresighting job remington did at the factory and head afield

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
long hunter said:
I avoid my local club like the plague when hunting season is near. Too many last minute sight in nit wits.
Yep me too LH. Best time to stay clear for sure!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The GC range that I shoot at had a death yesterday
http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/0710/757764.html
I don't think I will be going there alone until they catch whoever did this. The really freaky thing is that I remember seeing him there before, him and his friend, cousin, or brother were there shooting their fancy semis and I was shootin my flinter. After talking with him for a bit I let him them both shoot my gun, they loved it but had to go back to the 21st century with their fance semis. Bunky I would be a bit upset and voice my opinion at the meeting, but dang Zimm that was a good point.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<span style="color: #003300">Yea--I will make my point known after shooting today---others there who most likely wont attend to voice their concerns feel the same way---the guy next to me took the day off just to go shooting---he works at a Gun and Muzzleloading store in WHite Marsh MD--he sure had a nice AR15---NEW! I didnt cheat on Elisabeth---she got a small work out....Here goes
60 gr 3f .015 patch and Leghi Valley Lube----took 3 shots with a total of 5 miss fires! Grouping off the bench at 50 yards was 4"???
70 gr of 3f .015 patch and spit and it tightened up to about 2.5 inches and 3 misfires
80 gr of 3f and .015 patch with bore butter (yellow)the 3 shot group went to 1.5 inches with 1 misfire.
I was shooting at the far right bench just 15 feet from the swollen creek in already high humidity---I thinks me powder was getting moist just from the air! At home in the driveway on the blacktoop where it was hot and not as humid she never misfired.....I HATE SUMMER WEATHER! LOL
</span>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts