The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody see what these guys are trying to get passed and made law for gun ownership. :surprise2:

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Nope, and I doubt I want to know.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts

thats already illegal. so, they want to pass a law that forces them to enforce an existing law instead of holding agencies accountable for not enforcing the existing laws we have....i would laugh if this wasnt so stupid.

they want the feds to notify state authority so the thug can be charged under state law instead of federal law...LOL

·
Super Moderator
27,196 Posts
As bohnr said, the denial notification is already law, but by their own account it is seldom enforced. An issue I do have with this new/old law is what provisions are built into it to address when a false denial occurs? I'm sure we all know of someone who has experienced a database "glitch", whether through NICS, Do Not Fly List, or just trying to log into an Internet application. What happens then? Will the person be arrested and have to prove their innocence?

Strengthening our firearm background check system is an area where this is possible. In addition to expanding the scope of background checks, Congress should promptly pass the bipartisan NICS Denial Notification Act to ensure that state and local law enforcement are notified when someone prohibited from purchasing a gun attempts to do so."

The NICS Denial Notification Act provides states with critical information to help them enforce existing laws against individuals who attempt to purchase firearms but have no legal right to do so. Under this measure, federal authorities would now be required to alert state law enforcement within 24 hours when individuals "lie and try" to purchase firearms, which can be a warning sign of additional criminal behavior.

Also, what exactly does, expanding the scope of background checks, mean? What additional information will be looked for?

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
As bohnr said, the denial notification is already law, but by their own account it is seldom enforced. An issue I do have with this new/old law is what provisions are built into it to address when a false denial occurs? I'm sure we all know of someone who has experienced a database "glitch", whether through NICS, Do Not Fly List, or just trying to log into an Internet application. What happens then? Will the person be arrested and have to prove their innocence?

Strengthening our firearm background check system is an area where this is possible. In addition to expanding the scope of background checks, Congress should promptly pass the bipartisan NICS Denial Notification Act to ensure that state and local law enforcement are notified when someone prohibited from purchasing a gun attempts to do so."

The NICS Denial Notification Act provides states with critical information to help them enforce existing laws against individuals who attempt to purchase firearms but have no legal right to do so. Under this measure, federal authorities would now be required to alert state law enforcement within 24 hours when individuals "lie and try" to purchase firearms, which can be a warning sign of additional criminal behavior.

Also, what exactly does, expanding the scope of background checks, mean? What additional information will be looked for?
And therin lies the danger of these proposals. They sell it as a law to make sure the bad guys don’t get guns but nobody ever stops to question just what the will be looking into and what exactly would disqualify you from owning a gun.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
"Common sense"

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
How do you balance taking away someone's guns every time they express anger versus freedoms? Everyone gets mad at some point, how do you separate the ones that are capable of a mass murder from the common anger that most of us feel at some point(s) in our lives?

"Common sense" means a lot of different things to different people. I know men that had PFA's filed for no other reason than their wife had gone to a lawyer and requested a divorce. The first thing a competent divorce lawyer will do is have them file a PFA. Heck, it can even be weaponized in itself. Right now all a person would have to do is call 911 and tell them a person is threatening them and has guns.

Reactions: bohunr and Waynzee

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
i like the idea of background checks for ALL gun sales. right now if a person advertises a rifle or shotgun for sale anyone can come to the door with cash, buy it and walk away. no questions asked.

a felon can buy an AR, magazines and all the ammo to go with it from a private seller at the door with no questions.

a felon can buy anything but a handgun from a private seller with no questions. i dont think thats right. i also think that such a bill, will have to be written carefully. i think it will be good business for the local gun shops. set a transfer fee of $25.00

it wont prevent anything, but it might stop a felon from getting their hands on something.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
i like the idea of background checks for ALL gun sales. right now if a person advertises a rifle or shotgun for sale anyone can come to the door with cash, buy it and walk away. no questions asked.

a felon can buy an AR, magazines and all the ammo to go with it from a private seller at the door with no questions.

a felon can buy anything but a handgun from a private seller with no questions. i dont think thats right. i also think that such a bill, will have to be written carefully. i think it will be good business for the local gun shops. set a transfer fee of $25.00

it wont prevent anything, but it might stop a felon from getting their hands on something.
It won't prevent him from buying one illegally or from stealing one.In order for that to really make any difference,they'd have to have a registration which would be a disaster.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think these Senators have to be real careful not to step on the the 2 ND Amendment and the Pennsylvania Constitution. But I don't think this is going away anytime soon, these anti's want all our firearms confiscated.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts

Agreed but it won’t stop felons from doing what felons do...acquire guns illegally.

But beyond that, as I’ve said before, I’m puzzled as to the push for this after every mass shooting when it is revealed that every one of them went to a licensed dealer, went through the background check and obtained the guns legally. They push this as if THIS is somehow the problem when it isn’t at all.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts

It will not prevent anything and will only add cost and a hassle when privately selling guns. Whenever you see "common sense" attached to a gun law, it's usually something that only affects law abiding citizens.

BTW, Toomey is the biggest disappointment we've got. He fooled me....once.

·
Registered
483 Posts
"Universal Background Checks" sounds nice, but the devil is in the details. How would they define ownership and "possession". In other words, innocent people will likely be committing Felonies for the simple act of handing someone a rifle at a range to shoot or letting a cousin use your shotgun on a hunt.

·
Registered
18,292 Posts
thats why it has to be worded correctly and only pertain to sales, transferring permanent ownership to another.

until they get serious about enforcing the current laws, nothing else matters. we have all the laws we need, but they lack serious and strict enforcement. ZERO TOLERANCE,

they apply that to our children in schools, why dont they apply that to criminals....our elected officials need to wake the "F" up.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
thats why it has to be worded correctly and only pertain to sales, transferring permanent ownership to another.

Until they get serious about enforcing the current laws, nothing else matters. we have all the laws we need, but they lack serious and strict enforcement. Zero tolerance,

they apply that to our children in schools, why dont they apply that to criminals....our elected officials need to wake the "f" up.

yep!!!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Also look out for “compromise legislation”. The Left never compromises. They never agree to anything the other side wants. “Compromise “ gun legislation always means Republicans caving, or letting the “Rinos” dictate the terms. Do you think the Left would ever agree to 50 state Concealed Carry?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts