The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

TomBob outdoors = letdown

5K views 33 replies 17 participants last post by  Woodland Warrior 
#1 ·
Anyone see the most recent episode where they are turkey hunting in PA? It was a decent example of how not to hunt turkeys. I can't believe they put it on tv. The first part of the episode show's them sneaking around in full camo, face mask and all(yes, I know orange is no longer required in the spring). They finally make it to an old truck sitting out in a reclaimed stripping field, to use for cover where they had seen a bird strutting(later in the show they state they first saw it there when they were driving around). So they get to the truck, and the shooter crawls around the side to where he can see the gobbler. The camera guy cuts to get the bird to raise it's head since it's walking away from them, and the shooter takes a 55 yard shot. He missed, hitting about 3 feet low. And then made the comment he better go pattern his gun, to make sure he was "on". Later in the show they aired a short clip where he was apparently "patterning" his gun on a dirt clump in the same field to make sure it was "on". I was excited for a hunting show from PA, but not if this is what they're going to be airing. Come on guys!

#27 ·
Borden811 said:
Doug, it's not on the web, that I'm aware of. I dvrd it. That's the only way I get to see it. I'm not even sure when it's on, I just check the dvr every now and then for new episodes.
I have another good friend who films for them occasionally and another buddy that was on one of their turkey hunting shows a few weeks ago.I'll see if either one of them have a copy.I'd like to see it before I make any judgments.

#28 ·
I just got off the phone with my one buddy.As it turns out,he was the hunter.I've known this guy for years and have hunted with him several times.I can can tell you from experience he's an excellent hunter and a true sportsman.I'm generally pretty picky about who I hunt with and I'd hunt with him any day.I didn't see the show but he assured me the gun was patterned.He just put a scope on the gun and figured he must of bumped it.I can't comment on the rest of the show but I'll guarantee you that he'd never hunt with a gun that's not sighted in or patterned.He was at my house this past summer working on loads for his rifle and I know he's worked up loads for his shotgun because we talked about them at the time.I've only ever hunted in front of a camera one time but I do know that things aren't always the way they appear.

#29 ·
I agree about things not always being the way they appear. I even brought that up in the email I wrote to them. I figured maybe they edited some stuff, and it may have appeared not how it actually happened. In that case, they should fire their editor, because it made them look horrible. It would have been nice if they would have been able to reply to my email, and address my concerns. At any rate, Doug, I hope you get to see the show. If you do, you'll understand my concern, lol.

#31 ·
I'm not doubting what you say but the hunter in the show is a true diehard.He lives and breaths hunting.There is no chance he went hunting without patterning his gun first.My other buddy is some sort of a producer for that show and he has 20+ years experience in that business.I'm not sure or not if he does the editing but I'll find out from him what the story is.

I will defend the guy hunting though because I know him personally and I've never known him to do anything questionable.It's hard to say without seeing the show but I'm willing to bet,a lot of it has to do with the way it was edited.I wouldn't feel all that strongly if I didn't know him so well.

#34 ·
I saw the episode on turkey hunting you are talking about. It wasn't the best but I will still watch the show. I like the fact that they are hunting in PA. One bad episode will not turn me off. Most shows you watch are out of state and are not realistic to PA hunting. PA hunters are hard working and some of the best hunters in the states!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.