The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see the most recent episode where they are turkey hunting in PA? It was a decent example of how not to hunt turkeys. I can't believe they put it on tv. The first part of the episode show's them sneaking around in full camo, face mask and all(yes, I know orange is no longer required in the spring). They finally make it to an old truck sitting out in a reclaimed stripping field, to use for cover where they had seen a bird strutting(later in the show they state they first saw it there when they were driving around). So they get to the truck, and the shooter crawls around the side to where he can see the gobbler. The camera guy cuts to get the bird to raise it's head since it's walking away from them, and the shooter takes a 55 yard shot. He missed, hitting about 3 feet low. And then made the comment he better go pattern his gun, to make sure he was "on". Later in the show they aired a short clip where he was apparently "patterning" his gun on a dirt clump in the same field to make sure it was "on". I was excited for a hunting show from PA, but not if this is what they're going to be airing. Come on guys!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
That's a shame. It seems like everyone and their brother either wants or has a hunting show these days. The majority of them are wannabe's with litte actual hunting ability. I got rid of my hunting channels years ago because I saw the trend growing.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I saw that episode this morning.

I have never in my life emailed a tv show, but they got my opinion on this one.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I agree, the state of hunting shows is pathetic as a whole. I stopped watching most of them long ago.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Unfortunately these representations on TV are what gets the attention of the non-hunting crowd and so they never appreciate real hunting. Hunting is something that can't be accurately portrayed on TV anyhow. Golf and poker, sure these work for TV.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
GobbleBuck said:
I agree, the state of hunting shows is pathetic as a whole. I stopped watching most of them long ago.
Same here, 10 min, hunting, 20 min. commercials.
I sit and watch good self hunts on youtube, though only 3 or 4 minutes, better than what's on tv.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Amen to that one Callmaker! Its a lot easier to give reviews good and bad if you feel the need too. Youtube has really helped my cabin fever a lot this year.

·
Registered
598 Posts
absolutely my thoughts on that show as well - the stalk alone ruined it for me, then the comments afterward shouldn't be on a tv show. I was enjoying the series until then. Alot of familiar places and people on it for me. I imagine the pressure to get yourself on tv leads to alot of this.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Did you notice the use of the radio to tell the other guy where the turkey was.I don't think that show will last long unless they are trying to sell old trucks to use a portable blinds

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still can't believe they let that episode on the air. I emailed them as well. Didn't even get a response back. I agree, if any more shows like this one air, I see things heading downhill fast for them.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I saw it too and started making a mental list of all the laws broken and the unethical things portrayed as I was watching...very disappointed to say the least!!!''I planned on calling the tombob executive producer tomm anyways to talk about a cpl things unrelated to this episode but im deff gonna bring some of these things up!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huntfish2, did you get a chance to talk to the guys at TomBob?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't see how the name of the show has anything to do with it, but thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
i have a call in borden...just waitng for a call back. if not early this wk then i'll call again. i need to get a cpl other things taken care of w/them anyways and i'll be sure to let them know that many are unhappy/disappointed.

as for the name "tombob" it comes from a longtime friend and employee who played a large part in their business. he was an avid hunter/fisherman and lost his battle w/cancer. they named the show after him as a way to honor him

·
Registered
695 Posts
Borden811 said:
Sticker, what exactly did you tell us?
like you don't know? In the elk hunting thread this show was bro0ught up and I said another crappy hunting show..you jumped all over me...short memory huh?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, you mean you told us about your lack of knowledge of the elk herd? No short memory. I just wasn't sure how you saying the show was crappy because they hunted "tame" elk had anything at all to do with turkey hunting. It doesn't. I've seen 4 of the TomBob shows, three were fine, no problems at all. Only one was bad. Anyway, lets get this thread back on track, it's about the turkey hunting issues. Not the theme music, or the name of the show, or PA elk. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts