The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm growing Roma, Summer Salsa, 4th of July, Ponderosa Red, Porterhouse, Super Beefsteak, Big Boy, Beef Maestro, Better Boy, Golden Jubilee, Brandywine, Beefmaster, Marglobe, Oxheart, Rutgers, Yellow Pear and Super Sweet Cherry

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Better Boy and Roma, way too early to plant yet.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Huntered said:
Early Girl and Better Boy....
Those are 2 of my favorites.Always top producers!!!

I also stagger some cherry types a few weeks apart.
Plant at the garden edge or even in containers,makes for an easy access snack!!!
Sungold and Black Cherry are good ones.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
Big Boys and Romas, and I disagree about it being too early to plant. Granted I'm a LITTLE farther south, but I don't see any killing frost happening any time soon, and the real trick to planting tomatoes is to plant them DEEP. Tear off most of the leaves, leaving just a few at the top, and plant them almost all the way down to those leaves.

They won't grow up much this early, but what is happening is that all along that stem that's in the ground, new roots are sprouting and spreading outward. By the time it warms up and the plants decide it's time to grow, they'll have an incredible root mass uderground to supply water and nutrients to the plant.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I agree with hippie about planting them clear up to the top leaf mass. After I start them in those small jiffy pots I transplant into plastic cups and bury the bottom 5-6 inches in soil in the cup. Whenever I transplant the cups into the garden I again bury the plant clear up to the leafy part. The stem them turns into a giant taproot in effect and provides the plant with much more water and nutrients. Also the plant is much more stable and can deal with wind better it seems.

Contrary to Hippie I don't put mine in the ground yet because I feel it's too early.

I plant Big Boy, Roma, and Honey Bunch tomatoes. That gets all the aspects covered: big boy for slicing, Roma for sauce/canning, and honey bunch for salads/dipping.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I always plant up to the first leaf stems and sometimes if the pland is big enough beyond that. My plants turn into trees. I also miricle grow them once a week and dress with epsom salt once a week. I have planted early in the past and I do not get production any earlier. I would rather wait until the days are warm enough to warm the soil before I plant.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I plant a tomatoe type that has been in my Buddy's Family back close to the Civil War...his Grandparents started saving the seeds each fall and starting them in the spring, his parents did the same thing and now he does the same....

He calls them "Pepper Tomatoes", they look something like a long Sweet Pepper that got FAT and some what resemble Romas but they are NOT Romas, they get very little seeds in them are all "Meat" and make GREAT BLTs and also Sauce!
He starts atleast 200 of them each spring and trys to get the folks that buys plants from him to try them, everyone shys away from them for some reason and only wants the Regular Better Boys, Big Boys, Romas, cherry tomatoes and such, we can not figure out whythey will not atleast try them!

It ends up he and his Brother and I and another buddy end up planting all of them and Enjoying them!

I also do the big boys, romas and Mountain Prides he starts but mainly it is the "Pepper Tomatoes"

It takes my Buddy atleast 3 dozen each Fall to get enough seeds out of them to start 200 tomatoe plants the next spring!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would like to try those pepper maters.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
John S said:
I would like to try those pepper maters.
John,

How many you want to try?

I'll get a price for you on how much he is charging for a 6-pack this year and let you know then I can either tell you Directions to his place or pick them up for you and meet you someplace to deliver them.....

glock3540 said:
I'd like to try them too. Do you have any seeds left this year?
glock, he used all the seeds to start them, He starts all the seeds he collects from the tomatoes in the fall and starts every single 1 of them, he doesn't sell the seeds!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I would only want two to try, I only have so much room in my small garden and I want to have my regular varieties as well. I usually only plant 7 or 8 sets and it give me all the tomatoes I can use and I give some to neighbors and make tomato juice and feeze some romas for cooking in the winter.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
John S said:
I would only want two to try, I only have so much room in my small garden and I want to have my regular varieties as well. I usually only plant 7 or 8 sets and it give me all the tomatoes I can use and I give some to neighbors and make tomato juice and feeze some romas for cooking in the winter.
I'll buy the other 4 from the six pack if John doesn't want them.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I'm planting cherry, better boy, and lunch mate. I tried the topsy turvy thing last year with excellent results. I'll be puting one of each of my varieties in one this year along with a strawberry unit.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
Woody make sure you post the price on open forum or send me a PM. I can still remember you talking these things up last growing season. I'm interested.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Roma, Cherry, Grape, Bush Champion, Delicious, Early Girl, Early Boy, Better Boy, Big Boy, Yellow, Pink Girl, Marglobe, Heartland, Jet Star, Celebrity and Husky.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts