The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KDKA and WTAE are reporting that Bradley will be new Pitt Head Coach.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Saw on news that Pitt just released a news statement saying they haven't offered the job to anyone yet and that it is still open. Probably means that they can't get everything together to have a press conference tonight and will make it offical sometime tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
The conversation should have gone like so.

Steve Peterson: "Here is the contract. Please fill in the numbers, sign and return."

Bradley: "Ok."

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Bradley had an informal meeting yesterday with the chancelor
and had a formal meeting today. Sal Sunseri interviewed earlier in the week.

·
Registered
9,848 Posts
steelerfan58 said:

Steve Peterson: "Here is the contract. Please fill in the numbers, sign and return."

The only error in that proposed conversation is that Steve Peterson is even involved in a football decision.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
kudu58 said:
steelerfan58 said:

The only error in that proposed conversation is that Steve Peterson is even involved in a football decision.
Excellent point. I liked him better at Nebraska. He kind of reminds me of a Jerry Jones type. Someone who doesn't know enough about football to be an Assistant Special Teams Quality Control coach, but uses his power to influence the head coach. Wannstedt took that team to 3 straight bowl games. This year, they missed expectations, but they also were decimated by a lot of injuries to star players. You could blame the lack of depth on Dave, but let's keep in mind that backups are backups for a reason. They weren't as good as Romeaus and Mason. Look at what the Steelers became when Troy and Smith were out last year. Same deal. Now imagine what the record would have been if they had started some marginally talented rookie QB. This is what Pitt faced this season.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
I hope Bradley goes even though it pains me to say that knowing he was one of PSUs only remaining talent. I'll go further and say he should take Vanderlinden and McQueary with him and totally gut the mess we have at PSU now. Someone's gotta send Joe and Curley a message,

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
I hope he comes also. Seems like he may be the best choice to attempt to clean up the mess.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I think Bradley is a great choice, if only because of his ability to recruit in western pa. He's widely known as one of the top recruiters in this state. And if he comes he just might bring a few coaches with him who have other states that they recruit well in. I read an article written by a penn state football writer that said he may take Larry Johnson Sr. with him. And he recruits maryland and virginia extremely well.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Tom Bradley has cancelled his visit to UConn for tomorrow and is meeting with Norenberg right now.A deal could be in place soon.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
<s>PITT</s> Pederson can't afford another major blunder.

Not that Bradley is the best candidate out there (and he may be), but losing him to UCONN, a Big East opponent, would be considered as bad or worse than the Haywood mistake.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
He postponed the meeting with UConn until this weekend. Pitt is still conducting first interviews. My gut tells me there are still some high money boosters that have a problem with a Penn State guy coaching at Pitt. I agree that it is crazy, but if they wanted Bradley, he would already be signed and talking to recruits. JMO.

I also don't think he will get out of Connecticut without an offer this weekend. What is Pederson/Nordenberg going to look like if Bradley and UConn beat them every year.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
If they let Bradley get away, again, I hope those big money boosters have enough coin to cover the money lost because the team is terrible, just so they could hold on to a long dead rivalry. Pitt/Penn State WAS a great rivalry. 20 years ago. The reasons they no longer play don't really matter. The fact is, they don't, and haven't played regularly for two decades. That is not a rivalry. Arnold Palmer and Jack Nicklas have played each other more often than Pitt and Penn State have in the past 20 years. Michigan/Ohio State, now that's a rivalry. And I can guarantee you that if Michigan thought that they could steal Tressel from OSU, they would do it in a second.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
Bradley has done a good job at PSU and if he goes Penn State will definitely miss him, but I LOVED Sandusky. Ever since Sandusky retired, I don't think the defense has had that "snarl" like they used to.

They have had good defenses, however, none that really just stood out like they did when Sandusky was there.

I don't know, maybe it's me but I just don't think the D has been that great under Bradley... he's a good coach, but nothing special.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
steelerfan58 said:
just so they could hold on to a long dead rivalry. Pitt/Penn State WAS a great rivalry. 20 years ago. The reasons they no longer play don't really matter. The fact is, they don't, and haven't played regularly for two decades.
Exactly. It is no longer a rivalry and doesnt really matter anymore. These boosters need to get over it.

·
Registered
20,661 Posts
Bradley would be a safe choice and he does have influence in western PA recruitingwise. Plus, I doubt he'll beat up his wife any time soon. AS a bonus, Joe PA can retire and turn the reins over to Jay PA.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Pitt close to deal with Tulsa coach Graham</span>Monday, January 10, 2011
By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Marco Garcia/AP

Tulsa head coach Todd Graham, center, is seen on the sidelines of the Hawaii Bowl NCAA college football game at Aloha Stadium between Tulsa and Hawaii on Christmas Eve. Tulsa won, 62-35.Pitt and Tulsa head coach Todd Graham are close to a deal that would make him the school's next head football coach, but talks are continuing today, sources told the Post-Gazette.

If the two sides agree on money issues, Graham could be named the new coach as early as Tuesday. If a deal is not done today, it is expected that Graham would pull out and the search would continue.

The two sides have been negotiating since Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg flew to Dallas to meet with Graham on Friday.

The major sticking point has been the salary for Graham and for his assistant coaches. Graham was reportedly paid $1.3 million a year in total compensation at Tulsa. Pitt's first offer to Graham was about $1.6 million.

Read more: http://post-gazette.com/pg/11010/1116961-142.stm#ixzz1AfLgtw2S

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
Bite yer tongue on the JayPa comment. I'll quit any allegiance to PSU if that happens.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts