The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with a nail bed infection. One of my dog's toes is swollen at the nail bed. She's on her second round of antibiotics and not seeing much improvement.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Lynn, could you please clean out your pm box?

I would like to send you a pm.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. When I was a Mod I had a big one. Still not used to the reduction.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is a foreign object may have gotten in there. If that's the case, antibiotics will often be a losing battle until the object is gone.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I had a rottie that used to get nervous and would lick his paw, till it was sore than it would get infected. Is he licking his paw a lot? If so it will never heal. Try putting a old sock on it or if necessary on of those collars that stops them from being able to. I spent a lot on that dog for licking his paw. Every time antibiotics where about $150 to $200

·
Registered
120 Posts
My rottie had a nail bed infected a few months ago. Im pretty sure it was from digging up woodchuck holes.
The vet gave me an antibiotic and told me to soak his food in epsom salt 2 times a day for 10 to 15 mins.
That seemed to take care of it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She does not lick it other than after a hunt when I first noticed it. All the running had it inflamed and bleeding but that is the only time she was licking it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is her treatment right now. The swelling is coming down but very slowly.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
OharaTree, may be correct about something being in there. Or it could be a cracked nail you can't see. I treated one dog with a water bleach mix about 25% bleach and 75% water, I dipped the whole toe and pad area for about three or four minutes, washed this off and put peroxide on, then some athletes foot medicine, it healed fine but I don't know which one helped it. i thought it was a fungal infection. Maybe it just healed itself. The one with the cracked nail I cut the nail way back and coated the nail with crazy glue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts