The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O dark 30 and I opt to hunt my own woods for a change. Get out and take the long way around so as not to spook the deer that might be bedded near the house. Get to my stand 200 yards away but its a 400 yard walk. get to the stand and it has a quarter inch glaze of ice --plan B--sit on the ground and wait! Its 630 AM. Now its 730 AM nothing. 8 AM here comes a RED FOX....NO HERE COMES A RED FOX!!---the dumb thing doesnt see me sitting, do I blast him? No Ill see what he does next---HERE HE COMES---10 feet away he stops and sits down!! I dont move, 2 minutes later he gets up and walks off! 9AM here comes a single doe---watch through the trees 30 yards away and closing---too many branches in the way---no shot---I try to stand up---$h!^ my bibs (Butt and Legs) are frozen to the ground from sitting there for hours. Finally she walks away and I get myself up and try to stalk her---no clue where she went! In for lunch with the kids at 11 AM

Back out after lunch dressed in traditional garb since its a tad above freezing. Hey not bad Im actually more comfy in these clothes than my bibs and parka---Im actually warm too! My walk will take me about 1 mile to the place I like to hunt the most---Most beautiful scenery and usually something moving. The Hi Low Trekkers about kill me as I mud surf up the corn field that is now a melting soup of snow mud and ice! Nope didnt fall once---actually fun sliding backwards 3 steps for every 2 forward! I opt to stalk the woods for the 1st hour and find my way through the thickets dreaming of ancestors in the 1770s doing the same...I finally get to a spot that overlooks a small valley and a beautiful creek. The rocky ledges are beautiful with snow still on them. I finally continue on and head back to where one of my stands is located---I opt to stay on the ground to see if primitive huntitng on the ground is still possible. I find a spot about 50 yards from my stand that has some thickets and trees that make my chestnut frock blend in and my dark green wool socks and brown pants fit in perfectly. I wait for what seems like an hour and finally see two deer coming along the trail---small one in front gets a free pass---at 30 yards she doesnt notice me ---yippieee---number 2 deer (a big doe) stops dead and looks right at me---she bobs her head and I stand frozen...she turns and BOOM!!! No way I missed (meat for sure) WRONG!!! I go look at the spot and no blood! I turn back to look at my position and 3 feet away I demolished a 2 inch sapling --- blown wide and far----Im devistated for 5 miuntes because and I choose to head home...10 yards away Im nearing an openeing to the field when a racoon is coming right at me! I dont like them up close! I quickly stop and start to reload. Stupid animal is still coming at me ---I walk making lots of noise as I crash through the thickets up to fields edge he finally realizes someone is there as stops and walks straight towards the opening too. I lower the gun on him just in case he turns left and slips into a hole at the base of the tree. Wheeeeew!! Next I hit the field and all H*&& breaks loose from the sky! Im glad I missed the doe and killed a tree because now Im heading back home walking in the middle of a snow storm. Its almost a white out for the first 2 minutes. Great way to end the evening---no deer and surfing down the fields in the mud in the middle of a snow storm to I hit the front porch! God sure has a sense of humor when it comes to ol Bunky!!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nice story. Sure isn`t much grip on those Trekker soles, in fact there is none!! I often wanted to put on my Buckskins and hunt the late season but... there are too many nut cases around here! Now, if it were the frontier days in Pa. you would have to break out the parched Corn and make a cold camp just in case a raiding party of Shawnees might have heard the shot! Sure was some hardy souls back in those days....

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Enjoyed your action filled hunt report Bunky!!

Least ya hit a sapling vs no sign of roundball hittin anything!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I O 2 Shirttails this season!!! Poor trees!

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
Great story, Bunky! With things in the world as bollixed as they are currently, some comic relief is a wonderful thing, and, remember, hitting a small little sapling is much more difficult than whacking a great big deer!

Happy New Year to You and Yours, my friend!

·
Registered
6,477 Posts
Don't forget to tag that tree.Sounds like a enjoyable day.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Bunky said:
I O 2 Shirttails this season!!! Poor trees!

LOL!!

I'm taking an xtra old shirt or 2 with me when huntin at gentlebens next week...not that I ever think i would need them or anything!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As frustrated as I am this season it sure is better than watching TV----something I dont do very ofter as it is.
Hey Berksy---I like your thinking!!
I just might go back to the ridge by seasons end and put a doe tag on the sapling and post a pic! Now that is funny! OR do I count the limbs and put a buck tag on it.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Yeah Bunky that is a good story, I went out yesterday and missed a buck. It was around 75 yds or so away and don't know how I missed it. I could tell while watching him walk before I shot he was hurt, I think hit my a car. He was standing still and after I shot he jumped up a little bit than just stood there. So I took a knee behind some brush to reload. I measured out my powder, still watching him, and had to look down for a bit to seat my ball looked up and he was gone. No blood or anything I followed his tracks into posted ground for a little bit to see if I could find any blood or anything, but no dice. Oh well like what has been said before it was better than sitting in the living room, maybe a little bit more windy, but deff better

1 - 15 of 15 Posts