The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an annual black powder shoot in February and have a blast. I heard that some clubs frown upon holding the gun in the tuck position which is bringing the left elbow into the stomach for support. Does anyone shoot like this or have a problem with people who do. First I've heard of this.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I used to shoot competively back in the '70's and '80's. What you're speaking of is the off-hand shooting position. Most of the shoots I participated in specifically noted in their rules that off-hand shooting meant no body rests could be taken. To shoot off-hand, the elbow had to be away from the body. I haven't shot competively for years and I forget what the NMLRA rules are concerning off-hand shooting.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
We just had our shoot on Saturday. The guy who won it used the tuck position while shooting. About half of the participants did. I don't have a problem with it. It's still off hand shooting. It's you and the gun, no table, no bench, no stick. I've heard of shoots dis-allowing it though.

·
Premium Member
4,358 Posts
Several years ago, I participated in Brigade of the American Revolution matches, and if I remember correctly, anchoring your elbow during these matches was allowed. I knew the NMLRA did not since we had Jim Fulmer as a member of our unit.

It always struck me that a Continental Army soldier would certainly use the off-hand shooting technique which best offered the opportunity to whack the center those crossed white belts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. Black powder shoots are a lot of fun and I hope to continue my 2 year winning streak.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I just figured out who Darton is! LOL

He won my shoot on Saturday.

The shoot was at Goodwill Hill Sportsmans Club, I posted an invite on this site to all shooters.

No one showed.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would've loved to attend Bill, but that sure is a long drive just to show you and Otis how to shoot!

How'd the Big Bore shoot?

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
When I first started competing back in the late 1970's, I remember a few clubs did not permit the "tuck". That rule seemed to fade away after a few years though. I do recall hearing that the NSSA does not permit it at their matches because they want to stick to military hold.

Such a hold gives an unfair advantage to guys with beer guts. Absent the spare tire, most guys' forearms are not long enough to stretch from hip or stomach to the fore-stock without a palm rest.

I do have an old muzzle loading target gun made for a palm rest. I think if I tried that in anything anywhere but friendship, I would be tarred and feathered. Some clubs frowned on guns with hooked butt plates. I was rarely good enough, even with a schuetzen style muzzle loader to compete with many other shooters, so I did not bother getting that gun out for matches.

As one person said, off hand is offhand. I shot in college with hooked butt plate, 22 rfs and used palm rests. We were also strapped into shooting jackets. It makes a big difference in ability to hold the gun steady.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Rusty, the Big Bore shot great. I hit my first 5 targets, I messed up on the 6th. I pulled the shot over the top of it. Then I got side tracked loading and loaded patch and ball with no powder. Had to pull ball! (I hate doing that). I missed my next 4 targets and called it a day.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I would think you would have to ask when you get to the shoot which rule or "style" they go by? I used to shoot long range pistol steel cut-outs and the rule stated "two handed hold with no visible means of support". When people started showing up with TCs they all used the tuck which was allowed even though the rule was never changed. After 2 years of competition I quit since I could no longer hold my own using a legal hold with my Mod. 29.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts