The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
there's alot of people still looking down their nose at the Marlin rifles because they either have a brand loyalty or feel that you always get what you pay for. Don't get me wrong, i own some snap-on tools too...and paid thru the nose for them, but I also recognize good value for purpose too.

The Marlin ain't pretty, but what it can do definitely IS pretty. I just wanted to call some of your attention to a thread in a different forum that you may not have gone to if you don't reload.

http://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=133824&Number=1666370#Post1666370

I have since measured the second hole in my "3 shot 2 hole group" and it is definitely oblong by .09 inches indicating the hole is actually 2 hits. This is with an inexpensive Bushnell 6-18 scope (THANKS GRIZ!), a $300 rifle, and reloads made using a classic lee loader. You know...the 20 dollar unit that uses a hammer to make ammo...

I know...one group proves nothing...but stay tuned. I feel that with more shooting and some more practice loading, we'll see this group open up a little bit, and then maybe shrink down again but I anticipate it to stay under .25" and for a <$500 setup, I for one am totally thrilled.

·
Registered
25,511 Posts
Put that thing in the garden later this year and let tomato vines twine around it! Obviously shows little potential.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think alot of these lower priced rifles are a pretty decent value. Lots of caliber choices, and very good accuracy. I am a little skeptical about the quality of these guns, but hey if they hold up to routine hunting use, they are hard to beat for the money.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Almost got one in .270 before last deer season. Still wondering how big a mistake I made but did pick up a Savage. If I sell my 06 will be looking at a Marlin.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
jaydawg,

congrats and thanks for posting. I've been considering purchasing one for sometime now. I think you just put the last nail in the coffin.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BT, I honestly could only be happier with this rifle if it had a 3 pos safety. i left carry my rifle and have had the bolt open at a very inopportune time last season. regardless, i know now not to left carry while hunting and IF i do, i'll go muzzle down so i don't catch the bolt handle on anything.

I LOVE this rifle...it's all I ever wanted in a meat gitt'r

·
Registered
9,480 Posts
Those rifles are tack drivers and very well constructed with a great customer service dept.Check out Marlinowners.com and read all the praises and see how great these rifles are.They are the best deal goin.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
buckslayer, no. and i still use the one piece base that comes with the gun too. then again...this is the first blind mag i've ever owned...

Do i want to change it to a DBM? You betcha..but not until i float the barrel and do other things as well. Winchester model 70 bases fit if you want a different base.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The way that gun shoots why bother with freefloating the barrel? The ols saying of if it aint broke, don't fix it is pretty good advice.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
only problem i have is IF i decide to start playing with the big boys and entering some of the local shoots, the time restraints mandate 10 rounds in a shorter timeframe than the barrel needs to cool. if i get rid of the pillars, this problem disappears, but I will have to stiffen the stock a bit. not a big deal, and it's pie in the sky...right now i'm content with the ability to put five rounds on target without a heat caused shift. it's round 6 or 7 that walks. since the mag is only 5 rounds (4+1)...this works out quite well for me

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
accuracy out of a 'new'inexpensive or expensive rifle depends on the barrel and crown.for example; say a barrel uses the button pull method and the button starts out as new,the manufactuer says we'll do 300 barrels before sharpening the button,well guess what the first 50 or so barrels are cut sharp and clean and as the button starts to wear the barrels thereafter are good mind you but just not as 'clean' as the previous,so the rifle that was cut at #299 is just a little worse for wear-same holds true for crowning.you may have gotten one with the new button or one that the button was just sharpened.most non-custom riflemakers consider a 2 inch group at 100 yards acceptable to their standards

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VT, i'd buy this for a dollar...BUT everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE) i have spoken to (in person or on the web) agrees that this rifle will produce 1-1.5" groups with most any box ammo on the market. When you take a rifle that does this out of the box with factory box ammo (not even match grade stuff) and you start hand loading, the real magic happens. I'm not the only guy getting sub-MOA out of the X-guns via hand loads.

Consequently, i mixed up another batch of loads this AM - 5 each of 44.6, 44.8 and 45 again with the brass I intend to use from now on. Hopefully this will be my last loads of experimentation and will have a load I can stick with and load up a couple boxes for hunting.

I'm gonna need a different scope now though. Looking for a decent priced mildot with FFP and decent glass. $300 budget...any thoughts?

·
Registered
563 Posts
jay good stuff man. I am in the market for a deer rifle and I just shoot an X today. One of the guys at work has one and he let me shoot it. It has a $150 Redfield scope on it and that is it. I was shooting one inch groups at 200 yrds using only a couple sand bags to rest the front of the rifle on. Definaltally sold me on it. I did not know you could get a detachable mag for it? How does that work that's my only complaint. The biggest plus is that even with the rifle being only 6.5 lbs or so the stock, stock still does a lot to reduce the recoil. Can't say enough good things about this gun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts