The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lotta pork right there! When did that hunt take place Loggy?
It was a group of about 12 HPA members here did hunt a number of years ago maybe 10?? It was at Loshbaughs in Crossville, TN. I did 2 inline hunts before this one & thought it would be neat to do a "Flintlock Only" hunt so organized one here. We had a blast!! Berks Son Ken killed the largest hog. Forget weight but think was well over 300 lbs. Below is pic of BerkCoflinter presenting a powder horn he make to his Son Ken for killing the largest hog.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
Hey Loggy, thanks for sharing those photos, and the story. That was indeed a memorable trip enjoyed with a terrific group of Pennsylvanians. That God-awful beast Ken shot weighed in around 425 lbs. and was absolutely inedible! He couldn't use the stove in the house for preparing the smelly meat, and the family found they couldn't stomach it even from the grill outside.

I think ole Berks was still enjoying that fine Tennessee adult beverage from the looks of that horn presentation photo. I gave it all up for the better when I turned 70, five years ago.

Ken dropped that hog in its tracks with a Brad Emig .50 cal. "Yorktown" rifle, shooting a .015 patched .490 roundball over 65 grains of FFFg powder!

My "Yorktown" still prefers a .015 patched .535 roundball over a 85 grain charge of FFFg. Now, if I could just figure out the roundball, patch, and powder combination for my 24 gauge smoothbore! Good luck after Christmas!:smile2:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Loggy, thanks for sharing those photos, and the story. That was indeed a memorable trip enjoyed with a terrific group of Pennsylvanians. That God-awful beast Ken shot weighed in around 425 lbs. and was absolutely inedible! He couldn't use the stove in the house for preparing the smelly meat, and the family found they couldn't stomach it even from the grill outside.

I think ole Berks was still enjoying that fine Tennessee adult beverage from the looks of that horn presentation photo. I gave it all up for the better when I turned 70, five years ago.

Ken dropped that hog in its tracks with a Brad Emig .50 cal. "Yorktown" rifle, shooting a .015 patched .490 roundball over 65 grains of FFFg powder!

My "Yorktown" still prefers a .015 patched .535 roundball over a 85 grain charge of FFFg. Now, if I could just figure out the roundball, patch, and powder combination for my 24 gauge smoothbore! Good luck after Christmas!:smile2:
Thanks Berks....wishing you the same!! I really look fwd to the late season!!

Brad Emig's guns were well represented on our TN Hog Hunt for sure!! I remember how it took several to hoist your Son Ken's Monster Hog off the truck!! I shot a sow in the 250-300 lb range which was pretty good eating. Mine dropped in its tracks also. It actually went down quicker than the 2 I killed on earlier inline hunts where I took one with my White Rifle Super 91 .504 cal and another with a smokeless Savage 10MLII !! Them roundballs ain't nothin to fool with!! I gotta watch it here or I'll talk myself into a 4th TN Hog Hunt!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts

Brad Emig's guns were well represented on our TN Hog Hunt for sure!! I remember how it took several to hoist your Son Ken's Monster Hog off the truck!! I shot a sow in the 250-300 lb range which was pretty good eating. Mine dropped in its tracks also. It actually went down quicker than the 2 I killed on earlier inline hunts where I took one with my White Rifle Super 91 .504 cal and another with a smokeless Savage 10MLII !! Them roundballs ain't nothin to fool with!! I gotta watch it here or I'll talk myself into a 4th TN Hog Hunt!!:grin2:
I was thinking exactly the same thing! I think there would be a struggle to accumulate the same size group however.:sad:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I was thinking exactly the same thing! I think there would be a struggle to accumulate the same size group however.:sad:
If I remember correctly we needed 10 confirmed to reserve the whole lodge for ourselves. Seems a lot of the old time smokers here are not around anymore at least postingwise. You're probably right it would be tough to get a group to commit.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll add a photo to the mix, though not TN but a few of the same characters.
From 2007.

Left to Right: Soupe, Grey Bear, Jr, Loggy, McCoy, BerksCoflinter, Bunky, Todd Plank

WOW Todd...oh how the years fly by!! Added names to that infamous group of smokers!! If I remember that pic was either out at Gentleben's(Dick's) place in Bedford County Or Michaux Adams County?? One fine group of guy's to hunt with!!:smile2:

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Couple more pics of TN Flinter Hog Hunt:

Serious Hunt Planning W/Guide Daniel:

BerksCoflinter & Skip With Their Hogs Loaded-UP!

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Loggy, how about some detail about the hunt itself. Time of year, over baited stands, spot and stalk, over dogs? Terrain? What guns, calibers and loads were you all shooting? Etc.?

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Loggy, how about some detail about the hunt itself. Time of year, over baited stands, spot and stalk, over dogs? Terrain? What guns, calibers and loads were you all shooting? Etc.?
Sure Steve. Berks please correct my recollection if im wrong. Im recollecting from doing 3 hunts at Loshboughs.

It was an early November hunt. I set hunt up as to be a FLINTLOCK ONLY HUNT as there were a lot of smokers here that had interest in such a hunt. I had enuff interest that I could reserve the whole lodge just for our group.

The first day hunters could either hunt over baits or still hunt. Very few kills were the first day as hogs were very elusive. I think Berks son plus Grey Bear killed on Day 1. Second day the guides turned the hounds loose. All ---- broke loose as hogs were holding tight. It was an exciting experience to say the least hearing those hounds howling plus observing how the guides knew exactly what the hounds barks meant...ie bayed up etc.

Pretty much a free range hunt spanning several hundred acres of rolling hills(not steep) which included swamps, creeks, hollows etc.. There were fences around the large track which you really never encountered due to the massive acreage. TN law requires fencing on such preserves to protect from hogs spreading. Some hogs were natives there,,,,ie born within the acreage plus some stocked. Most were Russian strain. Not a canned pen hunt by any means or I never would of done 3 hunts there.

Most hunters were shooting round balls out of either a 50 or 54 caliber flintlock. A few were shooting conicals but for the most part...round balls. My prior 2 hunts I did inline...my White Super 91 & Savage 10MLII smokeless. All were memorable hunts that didn't wreck the bank account. This was the first hunt that I arranged with HPA members. Others were solo plus with a few inline buds. I would even enjoy sometime taking my 6.5 Swede there to see how one of those hogs would welcome it!! lol

On our HPA Flintlock Hunt I arranged through Suzi Loshbough(guide Daniel's Sister) to have a local BBQ catered the 2nd night which was outstanding for a very reasonable price under $20/per hunter. Other meals we fended for ourselves which was no problem as lodge had a full kitchen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for all the info and great story. I'm already looking at their website and looking at dates for maybe a winter hunt! I have never done hunts outside of PA yet so at those prices it is definitely in the works. Thanks again! Sounds like a blast.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
rcshank, good for you. You will not be disappointed. As outlined by Loggy above, this was a great three day hunt, and at no time did you feel you were enclosed by any fencing. After you were driven through the gate in the morning, you never saw fencing again during your hunt, and when the hounds became involved, well, the heart began thumping for sure!

One hint, don't shoot a huge old boar if you hope to enjoy the meat. My son shot one in excess of 400 lbs., and the family could not handle the smell or taste! Shoot a small one like I did (80-100 lbs.), and enjoy some of the finest pork you've ever eaten! It is a long drive to Crossville, 13-14 hours from Berks County.

I couldn't hit the first couple I shot at, much to my chagrin with Loggy looking over my shoulder on the second one. The first one I missed was a running shot. Pass them up, you will get other chances.

Tune up after Christmas on a white tail. Good luck, and Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you fellas as well. I figured a 10 hour drive from Westmoreland county. I'd like a 100-150 pounder for quality. If the wife goes maybe I'll shoot a bigger one and she can shoot the good eating one. A flintlock hunt would be fun but I'd rather take my new inline. With my luck, as it has been lately, it would be raining the entire time I was there and my cow knee doesn't cover my lock as well as I'd like. Already have 3 deer in the freezer this year so some wild pork would be a great compliment. Thanks for the advice!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
RC...if you book you'll have a fun hunt!!

Loshbaugh's had a local taxidermist to do mounts if anyone wanted. My first hog(below) I killed with a Savage 10ML muzzleloader. I told the Mrs I was gonna have it mounted & she thought I was kidding. When that big box showed-up from TN about 6 months later......man was the Mrs surprised to say the least!! Needless to say me and Hoggie spent a few nights in the basement until things warmed up!! Women just don't appreciate fine works of art!! lol

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
RC...if you book you'll have a fun hunt!!

Loshbaugh's had a local taxidermist to do mounts if anyone wanted. My first hog(below) I killed with a Savage 10ML muzzleloader. I told the Mrs I was gonna have it mounted & she thought I was kidding. When that big box showed-up from TN about 6 months later......man was the Mrs surprised to say the least!! Needless to say me and Hoggie spent a few nights in the basement until things warmed up!! Women just don't appreciate fine works of art!! lol

Loggy,

My wife actually loves my bear mounts in the living room, likes my buck mounts and tolerates my hog mounts (what she call's "pig faces") in the den, but holly cow man, even I draw the line at bringing em into the swimming pool!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You trained her just right Loridr!!:smile2:

My Dad was a taxidermist so my Mrs has in the back of her mind...where are those couple hundred mounts down in Dad's old trophy room gonna end up if my 84 year old Mom decides to move out etc leaving them behind. I hope Mom can stay in her home living well past 100 outliving ole Loggy avoiding a major crisis here on the homefront as it will surely be with me wanting to hold on to Dad's precious treasures!!!!:smile2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts