The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the summer months (from Memorial day to Labor day), how many weekends do you expect to spend at camp this summer?

·
Registered
299 Posts
NOT ENOUGH!!! With Life a 2 year old and Work..
Our Neighbor Charlie said his goal was to do 50 days at camp this year.. Lucky guy..

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Normally about ever other plus a couple minus beach time lol so I'm at 2 so far figuring be about 9 hope more!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Also thought that after the kids grew up moved out and I get closer to retirement that I could go ever weekend ha ha ha even in the fall during hunting season not as much as I would like but sometimes life gets in the way

·
Registered
20,191 Posts
At one point I had home...the mountain house and the shore house and that was insane.
Wherever I was I wanted to be at the other. I saw the kids more at the shore house, but they didn't come to the mountains much.
I ripped down the mountain place and built new, sold my full time place and relocated to the mountains 6 years ago.

Now I spend most late spring till fall weekends at the shore.
It's tough keeping multiple places especially if you have kids since they had so much to do, now that they have kids of their own it's still not easy with the grandkids so active.
As much time and money as it cost I would not have done it any differently or swap one second of the memories.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
We're retired now, so we don't need to do the weekend thing anymore. We usually spend 2-3 nights a week at camp each week. I have a big garden and beehives there so there's always something to do. About the only time we don't go to camp is during the fall hunting seasons; the hunting is much better around Butler than in northern Centre County.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
The addition and new deck on my house will keep me from getting to camp as much as I want to this summer. But after this year, I've already served notice that I'm not doing any work around the house at all next year, so my plan for then is to make up for lost time.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bigbrownie said:
We're retired now, so we don't need to do the weekend thing anymore. We usually spend 2-3 nights a week at camp each week. I have a big garden and beehives there so there's always something to do. About the only time we don't go to camp is during the fall hunting seasons; the hunting is much better around Butler than in northern Centre County.
I cant imagine the hunting being better, unless
your referring to the getting part? lol

Anyway its been 7 years since my wife died so
I can do whatever I like whenever I like for the most part. So when it gets too hot here I go there until it gets too cold there.
Usually about 6 months each.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Went up this past Thursday. Going back up Friday and staying until the 4th. The little girl is staying at Flying W for horse camp all week and my wife wants to be close. Win win situation.

Probably 5-6 weekends in the summer plus that one full week. Not enough though. Two years ago I was at camp for 63 days. Last year only 37. We're at 14 so far this year.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just spent 9 days in a row at camp putting up an addition...looking back it was very rewarding but in the middle of it all, it was back breaking work. Nice part of building onto camp is ya don't have to go far for break time or bedtime!

·
Registered
964 Posts
About the only time we don't go to camp is during the fall hunting seasons; the hunting is much better around Butler than in northern Centre County.[/quote]

That's the case for a couple hundred thousand guys who have given up going north to their cabins to hunt deer. The hunting is better at home so that's where they stay!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Leaving tomorrow. Camo Cares at Fryburg on Saturday and then a week of Forest County with my wife. First time I've ever spent a whole week at camp.

·
Super Moderator
6,257 Posts
Like Yotebuck pointed out, the hunting is great, the getting part is the trouble. I still get up camp to take the gun for a walk in season, but only for old time's sake. I miss the old days.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Somehow a week at camp building the addition lead to a very looooong "honey do" list at home (new hardwood laminate floors are going in Friday)....needless to say, my weekends are becoming very limited....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts