The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I come into some money I want to upgrade my atv tires. I have an '08 Brute Force 750. I've never ridden on anything but stock tires but I have some deep mud/swamp on one end of my property that I got stuck in twice recently. I have a winch so it was no big deal but it got me thinking about whether a tire upgrade would make sense.

I do most of my riding on trails and turf so I am not looking for mud tires but would like a tire that would be better in the mud and snow than the stock tires. I read good reviews on the maxxis bighorns and I am leaning that direction.

Here are my questions: Do aftermarket tires make as difference worth the $500 they cost? Should I go with tires bigger than the 25" stock tires?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a 2 wheel drive recon that we have ITP mudlites, i know you said no mud tires but they really dont rip anything up. They grip like crazy and that quad will go anywhere. Although when u go in reverse they tend to lose traction (i think its the design of the tread). Just a option. i also wouldnt think you need to go any bigger than stock.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a recon too. They are fun atvs. Mine was an electric shift. That was my favorite atv in a lot of ways but I wanted something for pulling heavy loads.

As far as the size, it seems like almost all utility quads come with 25" tires from 300 cc to 750 cc. I just wonder if the extra power in a 750 would be better utilized with bigger tires or if the stock tires are 25" because that is the best all around size.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
hmm. this dabate is really up to you. I have just recently went back to my stock tires because I was pretty much tired of the mudwolfs I have.

my reasons were as follows. stock rides better, work in normal everyday atv conditions, normally are light and do not bog the wheeler down, and generally get better traction at times depending on the tire.

my mudwolfs had sidewalls like a concrete wall. they never folded around anything and grabbed anything. I had issues going up trails I did with ease on my stock tires. the mud tires I liked because they looked cool. but other then the cool factor I did not like em. they did work good in mud but the stockers worked just as good in stuff that was not deep. mud is a different animal.

as far as tires that work well and are not a mud tire. well the reason why your stockers do not tear up the grass is because they do not have as deep a lug as aftermarket tires do. if they had a deeper lug you would probably not be getting stuck in that mud. it is a trade off. do you want traction or do you want a turf friendly tire?

as for replacement tires. I see alot of bighorns or bighorn knock offs and they work for trails and most moderate mud. a few other good allternatives is carlisle's ACT tire. alot of times you can pick these up as take off from the can am guys and the polaris guys. they work well and a bit more aggressive then most brands stockers. but not that extreme that they tear the lawn up. the carlisle at 489 is another good one that many go with. also carlisle just came out with a new stock tire replacement. it is called the black rock. unfortunately many people when they upgrade they go for the deeper lug tires and that is what the market caters too.

I would suggest getting some take off carlisle act tires from a canam or polaris dealer. check ebay also.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
hunterbloom44 said:
I have a 2 wheel drive recon that we have ITP mudlites, i know you said no mud tires but they really dont rip anything up.
I highly disagree with this statement!

I have ITP Mudlites on my Polaris, and they will rip up the grass when just making an easy turn in the back yard with little to no throttle.

I love the tire, but they sure do tear stuff up!

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
by the way, I bought the quad used, and it had the Mudlites on it. I dont think I would go that aggressive if I had to buy new tires.

Also, those rims are a pain in the butt. The lug nuts are recessed in to the rim, and it is hard to get the perfect socket down in to it, especially when the wheels get packed with dirt. I would like to buy some take off regualr black steel wheels for it someday.

·
Registered
578 Posts
John Henry said:
hunterbloom44 said:
I have a 2 wheel drive recon that we have ITP mudlites, i know you said no mud tires but they really dont rip anything up.
I highly disagree with this statement!

I have ITP Mudlites on my Polaris, and they will rip up the grass when just making an easy turn in the back yard with little to no throttle.

I love the tire, but they sure do tear stuff up!

It may be that the Recon being such a light quad makes them not rip up as much but unless your beating the quad around they dont do much at all. Just my opinion. I really think there are many good tires on the market and it comes down to exactly what you want in a tire.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I have a '08 Grizzly 700 with 25" Bighorns and I love 'em. If you ever ride any state trails the 6 plys are a definite plus over the rocks and as far as traction can't be beat. They are not the greatest in deep mud, but I have never been stuck with them....yet! They are great in snow and I plow in 2 wheel drive most of the time. One of the 2 best upgrades I have made on my Grizz, the other being the full set of Ricochet skid plates.

As far as 25" or 26" tires, that is up to you. Your machine has plenty of power and can handle either. Good Luck!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Bighorns are awesome. Put them on both of my quads. I am convinced they are one of the toughest to puncture. I will say any "good" tire will in general have more tread and bite which will tear up any turf.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have an 09 grzzly with 27 inch kenda executioners. they are a really aggressive mud tire but are well worth the money in deep snow and mud. i did a dalton clutch kit and kevlar belt to make up for the additional weight and size but it makes my atv unstoppable and provides excellent ground clearance. they dont tear my yard and fields up as long as you dont try too.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I am one that swears to sticking with Stock tires......I have tried changing them, but always end up having issues with either traction or handling.

The problem I find is, people go with larger/more agressive ties...especially on a 750 and bigger, and they lose handling severely.
I have done classes on a larger machine (I have a 650 Prairie) and I couldnt take the corners as quickly and really lose handling through mud holes. I even had one of my master instructors tell me how much they liked the handling of my machine.....my only response was because of the stock tires.

This is purely my opinion, as I am sure many like the Mudzillas, ITP Mudlites and heavier, more aggressive tires.
I just know in my experiences it seems to work my upper body and kill my arms much faster during a ride.
I also prefer to slide a turn rather than dig into it.
Again to make it clear...this is just my opinion on tires...surely not the same for everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts