The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to a guy at work and he asked if I used a tire set. I guess you set on the inside of the tire so they almost have to step down off the tire. The only question I have is it legal? there would be no bait visable from the air..and as long as you take the tire when your done? Seems like it might be a good bobcat set???

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I use a tire set for ***** pretty often. Did you ever see a tire in the woods or along the road that didn't have coon tracks on it?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Very neat! I've never seen or heard of this before but I'm definitely going to give it a try this year!

Denny, I watched the vid and have to ask, why is the chain on the outside? wouldn't you stake it inside or use a drag under it?

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
trapperrick said:
Denny, I watched the vid and have to ask, why is the chain on the outside? wouldn't you stake it inside or use a drag under it?
I'll bet if you wrapped a chain around that tire it makes one heck of a drag!
Keep It Simple Stupid!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
i trap a farm that he uses tires on his silage pits to hold the tarps down
Back in the days when I was more concerned with foxes, I used to trap a farm that had a silage pit or two in a field beside the barn. It didn't take long for rats and mice to take up residence in those pits which in turn brought on the foxes. There was a small knob of high ground about a hundred yards or so from the pits. Foxes approaching the pits used to get up on this knob to look things over before nearing the building. Here I used one trap, a square jawed #2 Victor Coil, shortened chain and a 12" angle iron stake. The set I used was a simple deep dirt hole, 12 inches deep, 5 inches in diameter and "lured" with one ounce of fresh fox urine poured straight down the hole. That one set used to bring me a lot of fox each season.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Resurrecting this thread and recycling some old tires at the same time. I have 2 of these sets out at the moment and have the raw materials around for more. I have yet to see a catch photo from a tire set, anybody ever have one pay off? I baited one with bits of skunk carcass and some urine, and the other has Cavens Hiawatha, urine, and some gusto in it. I don't expect much, maybe another possum or a skunk. Just wondered about it, found this old thread, you know the rest.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Joe, this sounds very hot.(too loud for a tire set) I'd just use mouse bate in this set.

·
Registered
6,265 Posts
Joe, thanks for bringing this thread up. I miss all the usernames above, miss them posting here. I loved longear. RIP longear. Dave3 & longear are top Coonman. Dave3 still racking up high numbers.

IMO, if the tire isn't laying right there, at a good location, why mess with tires?
Coon are easy to catch other ways then dragging tires around. Just seem like too much time to make tire set vs. DP or Blind sets.

Last season, I rode along on friend's Beaver spot. He had one swampy area set up in neighboring county.
He said he put a couple Coon/Canine dirthole sets near a Beaver pond, combined with his Beaver sets. He mentioned a set he made at ole tire he found there.
That morning, the tire set had a Groundhog and nearby dirthole had a Coon.
After a week, he caught more Coon & couple of Fox, but nothing else in the ole tire set that week.

Groundhog at tire, Coon in background, bottom of second tree

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Hern, I wouldn't wrangle a tire for a coon either, I had another nice boar muddy up a fresh dirthole this morning, back foot catch in one of my new traps, lol. I have seen a dozen videos on you tube with guys saying you can catch coyote with it, I'm skeptical but giving it a shot. The idea is obvious, just not sure it has ever caught a coyote.

Joe, this sounds very hot.(too loud for a tire set) I'd just use mouse bate in this set.
I saw a guy on Youtube ( I know, I know) do something similar, multiple baits and all that. I won't say I am desperate, but I would really like to catch one so I gave it a try. I haven't got any mouse bait, I have the rest of a skunk carcass with no glands left on it, maybe that would be better.

As far as too hot, I am guessing I have made all my sets a bit loud and with the weather not getting January cold here they have not done well. I have sets where the tracks were when there was snow, been bare ground here, I know there are critters. Not sure how a guy gets a feel for all the lure and bait combos and what to use where, I started back into this late this year, have several notes for next year as to what I want to change. Still slugging away for another month though.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
after deer season i bait my tires with the scraps i get from butchering deer. i keep a 5 gallon bucket under the table to throw the scraps in.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I like the idea of bait station tires. I feed a lot of venison scraps to my laying hens. May have to set some tire stations out though

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
So I take it that is a no? No one has ever caught a coyote in the tire set? I am no expert, just asking? We are getting some snow this week so tracks should show up.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
No tracks in the snow near tires either, I think this is the coyote trapping equivalent of snipe hunting....

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts

I hadn’t seen sign of much activity, but that changed last night. This one came to a flat set. Tracks in the snow showed there were at least two other coyotes that came to check out what all the fuss was about. Coyotes checked out a couple other sets but didn’t commit. Had two squeeze past CRs in the goldenrod. I’m gonna have to brush off some snow tomorrow, it’s getting a little to deep for my liking.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Nice catch BigBrownie, good to see something moving around somewhere. I opened up several snowed in traps today. Found one sprung, deer I suspect. I remade a couple that had frozen over, threw peat moss everywhere. I was careful to minimally lure and bait each one. I hope things pick up here too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts