The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there were previous recommendations on this board and I can’t find it. I am upstate and using my IPhone trying to gather info since I just had a tire mishap.. I went back a couple of pages and could not find it.

This is the second time I got a flat by driving over dirt and rocky back roads where a rock peirced the tire. Not the sidewall. I currently have my spare on because the hole was bigger than my tire repair kit could fix. And what a pain to get the spare out of my 2016 ram. I had about a half hour of light left when I was good to go.

I have Goodyear Wranglers that came on my truck and only have 25k on them. Mostly highway miles and had the tires rotated every 4 to. 5 thousand miles. Honestly I am not happy with them because they are wearing out too quick.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I'd suggest BFG All Terrain T/A's in Load Range: E

Fairly quiet on road. Decent traction off road. Acceptable rolling resistance for MPG. They generally last quite a while. Best LOOKING truck tire ever.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
You will get a lot of opinions on tires to buy. On those Wranglers, there are some cheaper versions of them. If those tires were new on that truck, I'd bet they are one of the cheaper versions. My last two brand new F-150's had them on also. Like you, I kept them inflated and rotated and still got poor mileage and traction out of them. I have a good buddy who owns a garage and tells me there are better models of the Wrangler that wear much better. I don 't know for fact because I got turned off them after my experience.

If you are driving back, rocky roads and getting holes punched in your tires, make sure you are getting LT (light truck) heavy duty tires with at least 10 ply.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I spend quite abit off paved roads
first thing I noticed was ,while its not Colorado or the moab
PA is nothing but rocks .

nitti , toyo ,and BFGs all seem to have positive feedback
I personally run nitto ridge grapplers on my jeep.
now with that said …

were you aired down when you punctured the tread?
this usually happens when people run fully inflated tires
preventing punctures is the primary reason to airdown ,
traction gain is the second
15psi is a safe pressure to run off road

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Falken AT3w; I kept the ones on my older chevy to put on the replacement. Not that noisy, handle and wear is great.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Wranglers are garbage, they don't last for spit. I have been running Cooper Discoverer AT3s for 3 years now on my Avalanche and you can hardly see wear. They have an aggressive tread that is good in snow, and driving in fields even wet. I am sticking with them when I need new tires.

Reactions: Danesdad

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll second the Discover AT/3. I have also ran Toyo AT 2 with good success and was satisfied with the amount of miles and abuse that I put them through. 10 ply is a must. I switched to 10 ply a few years back and don't know that I'll ever go back to 6 ply.

·
Super Moderator
4,620 Posts
Factory tires are not the same rubber compound as aftermarket.The rubber compound used is dictated by the company building the vehicle.You can't compare what one person gets for wear to another person either.Properly maintaining tires varies from one person to another big time.Driving habits like hard cornering,rapid acceleration and deceleration also come into play.How may people checked the air pressure this week?You lost a few pounds when the temp dropped.Air pressure specs on the door are more for handling than tire wear.The air pressure split you see on some tire placards?It is to help keep the vehicle straight during a panic stop.Tread wear ratings are not across the board.A goodyear with a 520 and a nitto with a 520 are not equal.The rating applies only to the makers tire line.They score the tires they make against each other not other manufacturers.

·
Registered
804 Posts
In my opinion the only good wrangler is the mtr, but there expensive in my opinion. I have bfg all terrains on my f150 and I'm not easy on them and the hold up great

·
Registered
266 Posts
BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A® KO2 for me. They have never let me down yet. I run them on my Toyota Tundra and they are great for everyday driving, towing, beach and light off driving. And they look good doing it!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cooper discoverer on truck now just rotated today and BFG A/T Ko previous rig and had 1 flat in 14 years,,, on opening day morning of NY buck season.

·
6,450 Posts
Wranglers are garbage, they don't last for spit. I have been running Cooper Discoverer AT3s for 3 years now on my Avalanche and you can hardly see wear. They have an aggressive tread that is good in snow, and driving in fields even wet. I am sticking with them when I need new tires.

we finally agree

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I've never had spectacular results with Wranglers or Discoverers. The least mileage I ever got out of a set of tires were Discovers, about 18,000. And I think that was the most I ever spent on a set of tires. I think they were about $1,100 20 years ago.

Usually I just buy the name brand that has the best price and meets my needs. The last couple of times it has been Mastercraft (which is owned by Cooper). I can put a set of those on for about $800.00, and I have been happy with them.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Wow Simon, you were robbed, my Cooper A/Ts cost me around $800.00 for my Avalanche.

·
6,450 Posts
20 yrs ago simon you were robbed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and they wouldnt have been the at3 they would have been the atr and i loved that tire too..........2 times in a row we agree woodwalker lets stick to tires in the future....lol

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
How many ply are the AT3's ?? I can't even find it on Cooper's website.

They look like they'd make a good highway/summer tire.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts