The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind do you guys use? Looking to buy a set for hunting season this year just in case. There will probably be 12-18" of snow up around the ANF where i'll be hunting, and I don't want to be stuck without chains. Hardly any phone reception up there and I'm sure the forest rds. will be terrible. Just looking for some reviews before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
Not sure of the brand but I have the V bar style.

Get spreaders to keep them tight.

A question to go along with this, (I have heard both answers are right) if you have chains for only two tires on a 4WD do you put them on the back or front?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
The back by far.You can send away for or by those emergency springy chains at parts stores or probably W/Mart.Or just make up a good chain link one yourself.I betcha Tractor Supply would have the chains already made up.They are on 19 by Gabriel Bros.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
RB-HPA said:
A question to go along with this, (I have heard both answers are right) if you have chains for only two tires on a 4WD do you put them on the back or front?
If I only used one set its on the back. For one, if it got loose I don't want to have to look out the rear window to see where I'm going and two, with the limited slip the rear will have majority of the traction even though the bulk of the weight is from the cab forward.

But, today at my age if its bad enough to need chains my butt is stay warm in camp!

Bill

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
RB-HPA said:
Not sure of the brand but I have the V bar style.

Get spreaders to keep them tight.

Ideally you want chains on all 4 tires with 4 wheel drive and AWD.
If you have just one set, 2 chains, you decide. Chains on front axle, leaves the rear wheels with no lateral guidance, the rear end might come around - fast.
Chains on rear wheels only, lousy steering (no lateral guidance), marginal braking (remember, 80% of brake force is created at front wheels and without chains that ain't happening).

Now with 2 wheel drive vehicle, you want them on the drive axle. You might also consider putting them on all 4 wheels, due to the same reasons as listed under 4 wheel drive.

Now when your all ready stuck in the ditch, from sliding off the road, whatever wheels you can get chains on, don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
19,601 Posts
On my F-350 4X4 never needed chains as long as there is weight in the back. Even with the plow on I have gotten into some really deep snow and got out.
I also have a 12 Escape that is AWD and it is mostly a front wheel drive unless the computer senses a front wheel slip, then the rear wheels engage but only until your going normal again then your back at front wheel drive. Having always had the option to shift into 4 wheel drive
I was not to keen on the idea of letting the computer do the work, but (knock on wood) there has never been a situation where it did not do the job, and once I buried it on the beach.
Just in case I do carry a set of strap on chains for the Escape but never had to break them out.
Good Luck

·
Registered
260 Posts
Tirechain.com this is a Johnstown company. I don't know that you'll beat their prices.

I'm fortunate to have an older set of 4 chains (no one runs 16 inch tires anymore so they were given to me), and it's incredible the difference it makes in deep snow and ice. I think a set of two are fine for almost any conditions.

I think my brother uses V-bar chains.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Got mine from tirechains.com also. Delivered right to my door for around $100.
FWIW, I put mine on the back of my 4x4 truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
just picked up a set of peerless superzlt chains on ebay for 40.00 .they claim to fit from 15 to 19 inch tires.we will see when i get them how good they are

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
RaspyJoe said:
+1. On the front because that way the chains will pull you through a turn while if they are on the back and the road is icey the front will skid during a turn and you may end up in a ditch. If the chains are on properly and are tight they will not come off during a turn.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
After this season I think I will get a set!!! I could have saved a lot of boot leather....all the dirt mountain roads were in iffy condition all season.... I might have been OK....but I don't like to find out...chains I'd have had no issue or had to think about it...

How long does it take to chain up? Just thinking...I know you don't wanna drive down the highways with them on...so once I get ton the dirt roads I'd have to pull over and chain up....maybe not worth it of its a pain and time consuming...

I almost got stuck Sunday leaving camp....I drove down and back out of the drive way to make sure I wouldn't have to shovel the driveway and rake up gravel...I drove right out...loaded up to leave and I couldn't get out! Couldn't get any traction on the stuff I already packed down...

I'm guilty of not running weight in the back...2 reasons...gas mileage..and seems like the back end comes around a LOT faster with weight in the back...

Do chains also provide for better stopping on packed snow/ice??

That's the biggest issue...getting down hills safely....

Saturday we parked my truck off a main road...drove my buddies way back in SGLs...not a flurry in the sky...we hunted back to my truck...6" fell...the roads were already iffy before the new snow...everyone else left during the snow packing it band making it a slippery ride...we made it...but i am looking for ways to make those situations safer and less scrary!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
It is a pain, but the peace of mind is worth it. Shouldn't take longer than 15 minutes, less with a helper of course.

Certainly do help stopping on packed snow and ice.

·
Registered
20,862 Posts
It doesn't take long once you do it a few times.They help tremendously on breaking.

I got my 4wd tractor stuck in my lower field this past saturday.I tried pulling it out with my truck and couldn't get enough traction.I walked back to the barn,got some chains and it crawled right out.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Haven't had to use chains in a few years. Had put them on the back of the old Blazer a couple times hauling a trailer load of firewood out of the mountains. The only time tested truth about using chains is that you usually install them 15 yards later then you should have!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts