The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
He's gripping or resting the stock in a different manner each time he shoots a new group. Or lying it in the sandbags or lead sled a little different each time. I'd be willing to bet on it. Those axis stocks are pretty light and flimsy. As someone else already stated if the rifle shoots groups like that it's not the rifle. If he were flinching, it's unlikely he'd flinch to the same place each time. The Axis 1 has a stiff trigger, but like flinching, I find it unlikely that he'd shoot good groups if that were the issue. Take close note of how he's griping and handling the stock when firing.
i agree with se7enremmag on this. nephew has one in 223 that would do this with a bipod attached or resting the very end of the stock on the rest. barrels are free floated and i think that it puts a different pressure point on the barrel causing the point of impact movement. when we sight it in off bags i have him keep the rest back by the magazine. seems to help. just my opinion. good luck and be safe to all going out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Explain to him what shadowing is when looking through the scope then ask him if he's seeing shadowing. In short make sure he's seeing a clean circle when looking through the scope. If he isn't then part of the problem is solved.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Should fit him fine then... unless you're a midget. ;)

Ok, he shoots the 06's fine, so is the eye relief similar on the 06's and the .243? Just grasping at straws here.
Lol. Nope, 5'7". He's 5'8". Didn't think of eye relief. I'll look tomorrow. I appreciate all of the tips and ideas! I was at a loss

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Explain to him what shadowing is when looking through the scope then ask him if he's seeing shadowing. In short make sure he's seeing a clean circle when looking through the scope. If he isn't then part of the problem is solved.
Yes. He's clear on this and claims he doesn't have any black edges

·
Banned
537 Posts
i agree with se7enremmag on this. nephew has one in 223 that would do this with a bipod attached or resting the very end of the stock on the rest. barrels are free floated and i think that it puts a different pressure point on the barrel causing the point of impact movement. when we sight it in off bags i have him keep the rest back by the magazine. seems to help. just my opinion. good luck and be safe to all going out.
Exact same scenario as the one that educated me, bipod vs no bipod. Son was shooting it off the bipod and the sandbags and had different points of impact with each. I was shooting if off from a cheap mechanical rest that contacted the firearm right about where you'd want your hands if you were shooting it and I was using the sandbags too sometimes. I was driving tacks every time out. Son is 22, and being as he was the owner of the rifle, he was getting pretty irritated. Ended up having to stop and look at every single thing we were doing differently. "Shoot it off the same rest I'm using." He replied... "I hate that hunk of s$%#", but he did it anyways and BINGO!!! Same point of impact over and over. He's now a lot more careful about keeping the sandbags back closer to the receiver as well.

·
Banned
537 Posts
Rework the trigger, its ez on a bolt action, check the net for instructions.
Makes a big Difference
Had same trouble with my girl, trigger job did the trick.
Good Luck, Stant
Be careful reworking the trigger on the Axis. Unless they changed the way the trigger is made, it's made out of pot metal. If you go filing on it, it screws up the hardness and you get a powdery texture underneath. After you file that hardened coating off, each time you pull the trigger it will scrape off a little powder and it won't be long and you'll end up with a trigger that screwed up beyond repair. I haven't had my hands on one in a year or two, so it's possible they changed the trigger on them, but I doubt it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts