The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a Savage axis in .243for my son a few months ago. Have had it out shooting multiple times. I'm shooting quarter sized groups. So is my son...but random locations on the target...and not intentionally. I can't figure out what he's doing. He is either right on...4 inches right or 4 inches low. It just doesn't make sense. Ideas?

·
Registered
613 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is trigger control.
Is he holding and resting the firearm the same way each time?
Loose scope mounts / problem with scope.
If open sites, focus needs to be on front site / proper site picture.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First thing that comes to mind is trigger control.
Is he holding and resting the firearm the same way each time?
Loose scope mounts / problem with scope.
If open sites, focus needs to be on front site / proper site picture.
Scope is tight....and when I shoot it no issues..and yea, holding the same each time

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
If you are consistently shooting 1/4" groups, there is nothing wrong with the gun or scope.

Is he truly shooting separate groups in different places on the target, or does it just appear that way after having shot 9 shots? IOW, did you check the target between groups? If he's indeed shooting groups but they move around he must be holding and/or sighting differently from one group to the next... my guess would be he's shifting his eye in the scope.

How old of a kid are we talking about here? If we are talking about a young kid, it isn't all that bad shooting if this is at 100 yards.

·
Banned
537 Posts
He's gripping or resting the stock in a different manner each time he shoots a new group. Or lying it in the sandbags or lead sled a little different each time. I'd be willing to bet on it. Those axis stocks are pretty light and flimsy. As someone else already stated if the rifle shoots groups like that it's not the rifle. If he were flinching, it's unlikely he'd flinch to the same place each time. The Axis 1 has a stiff trigger, but like flinching, I find it unlikely that he'd shoot good groups if that were the issue. Take close note of how he's griping and handling the stock when firing.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are consistently shooting 1/4" groups, there is nothing wrong with the gun or scope.

Is he truly shooting separate groups in different places on the target, or does it just appear that way after having shot 9 shots? IOW, did you check the target between groups? If he's indeed shooting groups but they move around he must be holding and/or sighting differently from one group to the next... my guess would be he's shifting his eye in the scope.

How old of a kid are we talking about here? If we are talking about a young kid, it isn't all that bad shooting if this is at 100 yards.
He's 13. He's been shooting for a few years. A .22..and he's shot my 30-06 with no issues. This gun just keeps going like this. I was thinking trigger pull but they wouldn't group so well if he was jerking the gun. This is at 50 yards. Maybe he is shifting his eye. I've been watching him closely and just can't figure it out

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
He's 13. He's been shooting for a few years. A .22..and he's shot my 30-06 with no issues. This gun just keeps going like this. I was thinking trigger pull but they wouldn't group so well if he was jerking the gun. This is at 50 yards. Maybe he is shifting his eye. I've been watching him closely and just can't figure it out
Does he shoot a scope on the .22?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts