The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I now have access to two new properties close to home as of yesterday. The closest (and smallest parcel) is almost 460 acres, the other is almost 1,400 acres. the smaller of the two is primarily Plateau Barrens and shrubs area here in the Poconos, the other is a mix of hardwood and laurel. My problem is I have never stepped foot on either of them. Access is good and I have no problems with parking or packing in gear. I know its still early in the season and things have not really "heated" up yet. I have the opportunity on Saturday to hit either one in the AM.

Which one would you guys go to first? I don't expect to find the "perfect" stand, and from what I have been told the areas do not really get pressured due to the bordering properties limited access. I know the smaller of the two holds alot of deer and turkey.

What would your preferences be this early, never stepping foot on either of them prior? Just curious, not looking for a slam dunk or expecting one either.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I'd find satellite photos and topos of both properties, then break them down to find funnels and make my decision from there. Terraserver or googleearth will work for this.

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
+1 on stack's comments.

Step two is plan a still hunt day with a goal to find the does (or deer concentration) and what they are feeding on. Take your maps and slip along to the areas you ID'd on the map. Last thing you want is to go into rut time without knowing where the does are hanging on a dialy basis.

Might be some slow times at first, but they will pay off later. Or if you are lucky your scouting trip could even turn into one like ng270's.

I love figuring out new property. That said i seldom get the opportunity anymore as I can't even hunt all on the list now.

I would do the barrens first, to see if it has activity, cause you know the hardwood/laurel will be in play year round.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stack, I got each of them. Topos, sats as well as property lines/borders.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John, this is turning out to be the best season I have had in a many years, and it's not even started yet!

Wife buys me a new crossbow, and I get access to two new properties. Christmas has come early for me this year.

Taking the season off from archery last year, really put me in a slump, and I honestly thought I was gonna give it up for good.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Personally if you know "...the smaller of the two holds alot of deer and turkey..." I would go to the larger parcel. By no means is 400+ acres a small piece of ground but 1,400 is HUGE, you will need all the time you can get if you plan to do a scouting/hunting trip all in one.

Looks like you have the topos and maps already, now all you need is to do a little homework to figure out areas based off these maps that would be good and go look. Remember to use the wind and good luck no matter which property you look into first.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i have chewed this through for over an hour, and can think of no better course of action than the above @171farm gave.

given you can get it out, 'twere your scouting, turn hunting, lead to killin'. more food for thought, so to speak.

that bein said, i tool am terribly indecisive when faced with two equally attractive options. and in your shoes, may think along the lines of "bird in hand is worth", i mean not a slam dunk, but......until i chew over the above advice....and then i think of the haul out. the power of positive thinking.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the thoughts and tips. Regardless of the property I get to in the AM Im gonna have a good day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts