The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it 's proper to tip your guide, but whAt about the cook ? Should the guide share his? After all just tipping the guide can get pricey. What is proper etiquette?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I went to Wy and paid 1500 for the antelope trip...I tipped the guide 160 and the cook 60 if I remember right, I went to maine and tipped the guide 100 and the cook 50 on a 1400 trip and Ive been to Georgia a bunch of times where the owner was the guide and we did our own cooking and tipped 200...Just to give you some idea of what I did. There have been other hunts and other tips but I think you get the message.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Buck, you sound like you're looking for a specific number. What I was trying to tell you was there are a lot of things that go into a tip....cost of trip, how many meals, were they made on a fire in the field where everything was packed in or in a cabin. how elaborate were they, basic burgers and beans or hams, turkeys and cakes and pies. Give more info I'm sure some one will answer. When I first started I was told 10% for the guide 5% for the cook is used as a base. I dont know if that still stands but whenever I go on a hunt no one ever seems to complain. JMHO

·
Registered
120 Posts
I went on bear hunts in 2008 and 2009 in Quebec. I tipped the cook $75 for a 7 day trip. Bear hunt ran around $1800.
I only stayed 6 days on the first hunt and 5 days the second. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
595 Posts
As usual some good advice from the guys above. I always like to personally hand my tip to the guide or cook versus having the outfitter give it to them. At the conclusion of the hunt, I look for a chance for a private thank you and a handshake with bills included when I give the tip.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As a person who has a son as a guide, please tip the guide directly, if you give it to the outfitter most of the tip goes to him and a small (if any) fraction goes to the guide and cook.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
That should pretty much go witout saying....Never give your tip to the outfitter to disperse....He already got his tip in the form of your payment for the hunt.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Tip the cook for sure. Anyone that helped you score gets tipped i think. Hard makin money for those guys. I've made sure i had tip money to pass around it's part of price of trip to me....later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts