The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two hrs ago I ordered two steak&shrimp dinner from Applesbees .The girl on the phone ask me what kind of car I drove, so I thought ok they bring it out to you.
I waited just a few minutes as I was getting out of my truck she came out. I had to use a gift card plus a credit card so I thought it would just be easier to go inside. As I was signing of course there is the option for the tip. So I said am I suppose to tip. She said its up to you. I said well since i'm picking it up i'm not going to tip. As I drove off I got to thinking since there bringing it outside maybe your suppose to Tip. What is your thoughts

(Update) After i'm done eating im gonna drive over there and give that girl a 5 ,,I did ask her yesterday if she had to work Easter and she said she did.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Re: Tipping Question

My thought is if you went in and picked it up there is no need for a tip. If they ran it to your car a buck or 2, unless you asked for some special treatment or it was pouring rain.

When I delivered pizza in 2001, the average tip was around 2 bucks and I had to drive it there with my own gas...

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Run2Catch said:
My thought is if you went in and picked it up there is no need for a tip. If they ran it to your car a buck or 2, unless you asked for some special treatment or it was pouring rain.

When I delivered pizza in 2001, the average tip was around 2 bucks and I had to drive it there with my own gas...

I thinking along the same lines as you

·
Banned
40,543 Posts

Next time just tell her not to gamble or play with fire.

Seriously though, they work for tips, so I always give a couple bucks.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts

I was waitin for a big endin for a joke but this turned out to be a serious question from ATR for once.
So I read the Missus the post and asjed her what she thought.She said she never tipps for take out.No cleanin tables,etc,just baggin the food and handin it to ya she said.C,mom ATR,your scarin me,your getting serious.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts

I was the general manager of a restaurant for 22 years. If that girl answered the phone, took your order and packaged it up for you, she was most likely a designated carryout person. We used to have them too.
I can tell you that they work just as hard as a normal "waitress" if not harder at times in that instead of a cook putting all of your stuff on a plate and just carrying it to a table, they have to box it up and bag it, make sure it's all there, etc. Condiments, silverware, blah, blah, blah. Plus they possibly deliver it to your vehicle and cash you out. Anyway, more than a waitress does.

They also rely on tips. So if you don't tip that carryout person, it's just like stiffing your waitress. Just because they don't directly interact with you as much, doesn't mean they are not working for you. As such, you may not tip as much, but again, they are a tipped employee.
Many people do not tip them though. That's why nobody wants to stay a carryout person and the position typically turns over at a very high rate, yielding inferior service due to inexperienced servers. FWIW.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts

First I've heard of that happening, but I don't pick up much takeout. I'm guessing she's increased her income by doing this.

I'd like to think I wouldn't have got flat-footed and given her two bucks. Good service is so darn hard to find these days, it should be rewarded.

·
Registered
52,307 Posts

If it were me I would go back tonight while she is working and give her a couple dollars..Your reputation will spread like wildfire in a positive way....So get off your duff and get going...

·
Registered
52,307 Posts

Tell her you presented this dilemma to 60000 people and we all thought you were being cheap so you decided to return with a gratuity for her..

·
Banned
40,543 Posts

Ron pa said:
I woulda told Her not to read the JOTD on HuntingPa. !! Now, there is a tip.....
You would've deprived that girl of one of life's great pleasures. Now, aren't you ashamed of yourself?

·
Banned
14,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

good ole boy said:
I was waitin for a big endin for a joke but this turned out to be a serious question from ATR for once.
So I read the Missus the post and asjed her what she thought.She said she never tipps for take out.No cleanin tables,etc,just baggin the food and handin it to ya she said.C,mom ATR,your scarin me,your getting serious.

Good reply

·
Registered
12,211 Posts

well atr, if it was your money we are spending my vote would be for 25% - at the very least.

·
Registered
9,647 Posts

kudu58 said:
I was the general manager of a restaurant for 22 years. If that girl answered the phone, took your order and packaged it up for you, she was most likely a designated carryout person. We used to have them too.
I can tell you that they work just as hard as a normal "waitress" if not harder at times in that instead of a cook putting all of your stuff on a plate and just carrying it to a table, they have to box it up and bag it, make sure it's all there, etc. Condiments, silverware, blah, blah, blah. Plus they possibly deliver it to your vehicle and cash you out. Anyway, more than a waitress does.

They also rely on tips. So if you don't tip that carryout person, it's just like stiffing your waitress. Just because they don't directly interact with you as much, doesn't mean they are not working for you. As such, you may not tip as much, but again, they are a tipped employee.
Many people do not tip them though. That's why nobody wants to stay a carryout person and the position typically turns over at a very high rate, yielding inferior service due to inexperienced servers. FWIW.
I just read this one to the Missus and she still don,t agree.They have no table to clean,don,t bring your water,don,t ask how everything is,have no refills to fill,no food to return for a variety of reasons,etc,etc,the list goes on.She said the only time it might warrant is inclement weather or some other reason when they actually have to bring it to you to your car.From what you explain sounds no different than a McDonalds employee in a drive-thru.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts