The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the combo i bought to start fly fishing came with a knot already tied connecting the fly line to the tapered leader. Well the leader broke close to the knot that connects the fly line to leader does anyone have experience connecting the fly line to a tapered leader with a tippet ring it seems like a swivel for fly fishing
thanks for the advice
adam

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Use a nail knot, u can pick up a tool for it...I don't see a Tippet ring working very well for that...they are used for leader connections

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Most new fly lines come with a welded loop on the end to connect your leader. Google nail knot, or by the nylon leader loops. I myself prefer loop to loop connections.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Mostly nymph fishing here, tippet rings work well for attaching tippet material only to a leader. As others have said, nail knot of find something that will allow you to use a loop to loop connection. What I like about the tippet ring is if you break off, you usually break off the tippet. Meaning you don't have to keep tying a new tippet to the leader itself, just keep tying to the ring. Allows you to use a heavier leader with a lighter tippet.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
As others have stated, a nail knot is the way to go for attaching anything to your flyline. Rather than attaching your leader directly to your flyline, I would recommend using a nail knot to attach a 6-8" section of 30# mono or amnesia to your flyline. Tie a small perfection loop at the end of the mono and then you can attach your leaders directly to the loop you made in the mono. This way you don't need to hack up your fly line every time you change leaders.

Don't forget to put a drop of glue at the end of your flyline if you cut it. Otherwise, your line won't float as well once it becomes saturated with water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts