The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading posts here and there for where to do a DIY elk hunt in Colorado. I've helped as many of you guys as I could either through messages or PM's. I just wanted to pass one more piece of usefull info along. I've been studying BLM maps and state forrest maps and GMU maps trying to overlay public and private land with access roads and gps coordinates. Needless to say it an endless job but you have to do the legwork if you want to hunt. Well, I just got done talking with the Colorado DOW regarding a few areas I'm interested in and he sent me to this book. Ths thing is amazing. It basically does exactly what I've been trying to do on my own. It marks state forrest, state wilderness, BLM and private land by color. It then overlays a coordinate grid so you can find the areas with a gps. Finally it has a detailed road map that you won't find on any other atlas. It shows paved roads, dirt roads, gravel roads, 4x4 roads and atv trails on all of the state land so you know exactly how to get back into the deepest places to hunt. I thought I'd post it for anyone else looking to head to Colorado for a DIY hunt. I think this thing will be a God send this October for me and my friends. It's also cool because it's the exact same book that the DOW uses for marking it's boundaries so you shouldn't have any issues with conflicting data if you end up talking with a DOW officer.

http://www.amazon.com/Roads-Colorado-2nd...67550582&sr=8-1

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
I've been also kicking around doing a DIY Elk hunt... Thank's for the info. Let's see if I plan one then I'll draw a N.H. Moose tag. Just not enough time in a year.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you ever decide to go out for a DIY in Colorado just shoot me a PM and I'll set you up with just about everything you'll need to know to get started.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Bearklr

Just htought Id let you know, Ive seen you post on this stuff before and I thought its great you offering to help guys this much. Thanks a heap and if I ever do decide to go on my own you'll hear from me

Sab

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Bearklr.
As CWA said THANK YOU. Very nice of you to help out. I just may be requesting your assistance. Would love to try my 35W out on an elk. If I can ever be of assistance in Illinois, just PM me. Rich

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a problem guys! I've had my fair share of help along the way and I just enjoy helping others and passing it on. You're more than welcome!

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Is there anywhere in Colorado where I could get somewhat decent public access and have a good chance of taking a cow elk on my own. I mean I'm not in terrible shape but I'm no athlete either, and I have some back issues. i held a Colorado Elk tag in 2007 and my wife's cousin was going to show me where to hunt and give me a place to sleep. In the meantime his marriage fell apart and I couldn't stay there and he couldn't show me around because he was busy working out his marriage. Colorado was gracious and refunded my money since I didn't get to hunt elk but my dreams of shooting an elk out west still remain unfulfilled.

·
Registered
13,867 Posts
I got a LOT up on St. Mary's Glacier....

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Mike.... Why only a cow??? If I don't draw a N.H. Moose Tag I may look into an DIY Elk hunt. I had a guy on another site that did it quite regularly and offered assistance if I was interested. Just no time last year. Maybe should look into the availability of tag's.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
35Whelan said:
Mike.... Why only a cow??? If I don't draw a N.H. Moose Tag I may look into an DIY Elk hunt. I had a guy on another site that did it quite regularly and offered assistance if I was interested. Just no time last year. Maybe should look into the availability of tag's.

Because I know guys who go out four or five years before they get their first bull. They see cows every year.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike, we usually go with about 4 or 5 guys and hunt unit 4 in Routt National Forrest. That unit has about a 23% success rate on elk. The last year we went out we had 4 guys and took 2 bulls and a mule deer hunting the Routt national forrest. The area is great because there's tons of state forrest and BLM land with a bunch of access roads so your hunt can be as hard or as easy as you want. This year we have another group going in early archery for unit 24 as well and they're packing back in and camping. When we hunt unit 4 we typically stay in Baggs Wy but you can also stay in Craig Co. I would HIGHLY recomend getting a bull tag though. The reason being is that bull tags are guaranteed over the counter but cow tags are draw only. I'd also hate to be out there with just a cow tag when a nice 6 x 6 walks by and all you can do is watch. If you're really serious about going out there shoot me a PM and I can send you some links that are really helpful. The DOW site is really tough to navigate and it took me quite some time to weed out the areas that were useful.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also forgot to mention Mike that if you really want a cow I would also stick to unit 4. Only unit 12 had a higher cow harvest than unit 4 did.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Bearklr. What is the best time to go??? I'd be using a rifle. Mike you thinking bow or gun??? Maybe we could put something together.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
35Whelan said:
Bearklr. What is the best time to go??? I'd be using a rifle. Mike you thinking bow or gun??? Maybe we could put something together.

I'm always thinking gun. My BIL booked a rather expensive Colorado archery elk hunt two years ago. He had a 20 yard shot at a 7X7 bull and in his haste picked the wrong pin. The arrow clipped hair off the back and sailed out over the bull. he didn't get another chance at any bull. He saw plenty but they couldn't get them in bow range. Give me a gun and I won't come home with stories like that.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
Mike. Not sure, I got permission from a guy in Ohio to hunt Ohio and he keep's bugging me to hunt his land in Minn. So I called the guy that watch's it and he farm's over 7000 acres. He say's come hunt his land TOO... With the Gig in Illinois I just haven't had time to go check it out. This year I plan on at least checking it out and trying to hunt Ohio. But I'd love to put together an Elk trip.

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
moosemike said:
I'd love to put together an elk trip as well but I'm not sure this is the year.
Well we alway's could try for next year and I'll hope to draw a moose tag. Maybe we could get a few more HPA's to come out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts