The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do alot of my hunting up in tioga near hammond lake with my friend and we used to go trout fishing in the spring during turkey season well now we are thinking of take a fishing trip up for a weekend and not sure as to what to plan for. Id like to maybe do some trout fishing but I really wanna get some bait and try for some striped bass or cats but havent fished the lakes before just the streams any help?

·
Registered
919 Posts
when you get up here stop by the Tackle shack on 287 they got bait and info they will share info but you have to buy the bait

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
2-4" live sunfish, big shiners and creek chubs. Stripers and cats are everywhere in the lake, but the spillway is best for them in large numbers.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fingers crossed ill have an new boat by the time we take our trip and can get around the lakes up there better. i was planning on trying near the spillway from lake hammond into the river right about the town of tioga, we used to fish the spillway below the river and caught some small channel cats there for figured there should be some nicer ones above. Just need to find a place to catch bait im sure some where along the banks of the river we can find some sunnies.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I was talking the actual spillway, not the lake. Have caught a boat load of 12-20 pounders there in my life (cats).

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which spillway? hammond lake over flows into the tioga river right above the town of tioga or is it the river flowing into the lake? If your at the vistors center looking down you see can see that big embankment then there is a spill way down into tht rock lined area that is the tioga river again. Ive caught small channel cats there but it isnt very big or deep if i recall there believe i saw someone wade across it. Then there is the lake just north of the town of tioga that is on the border of NY PA. From the looks of it im gonna hold off on buyin a new boat an i dont really feel like loading my 12' into the back of my truck to haul it up there with only a small trolling motor so probly just be fishing from the banks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea that lake is just north of hammond I just didnt know how to spell it and just didnt feel like looking it up at the moment lol

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
The Tioga/hammond spillway that is right by town (Tioga river) KS what I am referring to. The small spillway that comes out of Hammond only (crooked creek) can be good for cats too.

The Tioga/Hammond spillway is Letty deep up in the walls. 17' on the depth finder in our old John boat. Right at the ramp is where everyone crosses and is only thigh deep, but I have caught big cats AMD walleye there too, along with all of the other species.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.