The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife came to me last evening and said " Bet you can't guess your valentines day present" Turned out I got it. She's getting me a trip to the Tioga Boar Preserve. Just wondering what you guys think of this preserve or if you have ever been there?? Thanks!

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Check out the other place up there (Stony Fork Hunts) located in Stony Forks, 8 miles from Wellsboro. Check the prices on hogs, Tioga sells hogs acording to weight. You are going to pay 500 for a 100lb hog. Stony Fork is 550 for any size hog and that includes skinning, quartering and ice. Tioga charges 100 for that service. So that would be 600 for a 100 lb hog, where you can get that for 550 and be able to shoot any size hog.

They will take you a tour of their place if you call them, for free. So you lose nothing on that tour. Great guys.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
took both my boys when they were 9 and 12. Take a bow or you will be done very quickly!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just was there a couple of weeks ago. Had a real good time. Wouldn't call it a hunt. Good meat and nice operation. Lodgeing wasn't that great.I would definetly do it again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I killed a boar at Stony Fork Hunts as mentioned above...It was 500 to kill the boar. It was fun got to see alot of boars was able to be picky thats for sure

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Bill_Weber_RRT said:
Where in Pa is there fair chase hog hunting???
It isn't. It's a game farm.

I've known quite a few guys that say it's top notch.

Got to take it for what it is. Some guys love it, others don't. I never had the oppertunity so I won't judge. It does seem like a lot of fun though.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I am really looking forward to this hunt.

When you say lodging is OK what exactly do you mean??

·
Registered
173 Posts
Check out Thewildernesspa. Its prices, lodging and accomodations are excellent. A real first class outfit. If you shoot a boar, you see tons of other animals. Took the kids the past two years and they had a blast.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey SonicHog,we had bunks bed they weren't all that comfortable. I would bring a sleeping bag the next time. It would make it a little more comfortable. Bring some ear plugs too.Not saying any of this in a bad way either.If you can, take the meat to a butcher and get it processed. They just do a basic cut.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey 378 Check your PM's I sent you a message.

I had a change of heart, I am no longer thinking about the Tioga Boar Preserve but now I am booked at The Wilderness. in Everett Pa The prices are great and if all goes well my wife and I will be there Feb.13-14!!! Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
we wanted to try it .it was a 4 hour drive and a 1/2 hour hunt ,did it with a bow wont EVER do it again.. enjoy it if you can meat was good...They boast alot of acres but from what I saw a bunch of SMALL encloseures .

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
We did Tioga. Sleeping accomodations were terrible. "Guide" kept telling me to shoot "that one's a good one" it was smaller than my Springer Spaniel. I said I'll go home with nothing first. Finally a bunch came through after four hours that I can tell annoyed the guide that I was selective. I shot a good hog. The butchering job for $100 was a joke. I only tipped my "guide" $35.00 cause I felt the $100 for mutilating my pig was a good enough bonus. Meat was awesome. Memories with my buds were great. The "hunt" was so obviously set up for a quick in and quick out. That's all okay, but the overnight accomodations were in a word, bad. I had fun, but wouldn't do it again. There's very good preserves that at least you have the illusion of a challenging hunt. This was not one of them.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I brought my first of this year PA deer to Smokin Joe's in Hamlin. $65.00 was a perfect butching and packaging job. Brought my 2nd PA deer to him. $85.00 with 10 lbs of sausage, again, perfect job and packaged for the freezer. I paid $100 at Tioga and it took me 3 hours to properly trim and cut up and package the meat. That is what really ticked me off. They sawed up the meat and didn't trim anything and didn't wrap anything, tossed all the meat in a bag and handed it to me. That really ticked me off.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Wytetail I had the same problem with the butchering there. Took me and a buddy 3 hours and a case of beer to to it the right way after they gave me a cooler full of rough cut meat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts