The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I got a question. I have never mowed a plot off, just left them go but those have been annual plantings.

Last summer around June 13th, I planted my first perennial plot. Clovers, chicory, alfalfa. It grew great last year and this year it came back strong again. Its probably 10" or so high and real thick...paths all through it. They are loving it.

I have read RB talking about mowing his plots. So my question is, when should I mow this one down a little bit? I was just going to hit it with the brush hog down to about 4-6 inches.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Everything i have been reading is saying let it grow between 12-15 then cut that in half

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Hit it when it is convienent and before the weeds in there seed...the clover and chicory come back great after mowing (never planted afalfa). If I did not believe that I would not of spent my Saturday cutting one of my 4 plots with a WEEDWACKER...mower troubles caused me to go plan B, now I got 3 more to do this too...and limited time but the weeds knocked down now or else I will be spraying.

BTW, when I JUST finished Saturday a doe and fawn came right out...not sure if it was the fresh cut clover smell or not, but after what was a frustrating day with the mowing equipment...it got me to smile.

I about threw up the first time I mowed under a beautiful clover field so I know where you are at, but it came back even better and does control the weeds nicely, I plan to mow it down 3 times this summer.

Take it to 4-6" , I would if i could

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses. Looks like I'm putting the brush hog on the JD this week, fields need mowed anyways.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Q2XL12 said:
Hey guys I got a question. I have never mowed a plot off, just left them go but those have been annual plantings.

Last summer around June 13th, I planted my first perennial plot. Clovers, chicory, alfalfa. It grew great last year and this year it came back strong again. Its probably 10" or so high and real thick...paths all through it. They are loving it.

I have read RB talking about mowing his plots. So my question is, when should I mow this one down a little bit? I was just going to hit it with the brush hog down to about 4-6 inches.

Thanks in advance to any and all responses.
Q2, not sure how large your plot is but my 1/4 acre I will mow once maybe twice in a month. It grows fast!
All I use is a rider mower and at it's highest setting it's only 4-5" off the ground.Wish it was higher. Makes it tough when the Clover is high and full of moisture. Keeps blocking up the deck.

Also in keeping it mowed that keeps it young, tender and growing fresh all the time. You don't have the heavy stems.

Like the Rooster said, after you mow it, it is really sick looking, give it a few days and you wouldn't even know you mowed it!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I have heard it is a good idea to allow it to go to seed once a year. However, if weeds are a problem, cut them before they go to seed, thats for sure.

I mowed plots for a buddy yesterday, about 5 hours or so, it was going to seed already and weeds were about to. Caught them just in time, I hope.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
The only bad thing about mowing at this time are the new born fawns. According to the Game Commission's calender This week & next week is prime time.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Understood, but if clover is only 10-15 inches tall and some care taken, mowing is ok.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Mowing is the key to producing quality whitetail food, even if it's just an old weed/ grass field.(Native vegitation) You'd be surprised how much deer will flock to one of these fields if you just cut it twice a year. Add lime and fertilizer (per soil sample) and you got your food plot!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I mowed my clover this weekend it was about 12-15" tall. But it was starting to look pretty ratty if it doesn't look good enough for me to eat I figure it doesn't look that good to the deer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
fall gobbler said:
Mowing is the key to producing quality whitetail food, even if it's just an old weed/ grass field.(Native vegitation) You'd be surprised how much deer will flock to one of these fields if you just cut it twice a year. Add lime and fertilizer (per soil sample) and you got your food plot!
I very much agree with you. The poor mans food plot!

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol...

I mowed it off last night with the brush hog. I was pretty happy how that plot came back this year and how well it produced and thickened up.

It was actually 12-15 inches high and I chopped it back down to about 6. Fresh cut salad for the deer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts